Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Sharing user sign-in data across several Vanilla forums

I have found that other users were asking for something similar, but no existing solution seems to exist yet.

Task: get users sign-in data in sync with several (2 or more) Vanilla forums installations. I.e., if user registers at one of the forums in sync, they should be able then to log in to every other synced forums using the same credentials (and if credentials are changed, the same change should be propagated across the forums in sync).

Has the above a known solution, or I should implement that myself?

Thanks.

Comments

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

There are several plugins that support external authentication. Seems to me that if Vanilla supported authentication apis like those used by the external sites, a plugin could be developed to support your need.
    Or perhaps such api already exists? I haven't research it...

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

You are looking to host a multi-forum? Is this across servers?

If the forums are completely separate excepting user authentication, you would need to create/use Single Sign On.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight Most probably 2-3 forums on the same VM; the problem is to ensure user can register on any of the forums using same users base.

Will Single Sign On allow registering/changing users data on any mentioned forums?

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Stayen said:
    @hgtonight Most probably 2-3 forums on the same VM; the problem is to ensure user can register on any of the forums using same users base.

Will Single Sign On allow registering/changing users data on any mentioned forums?

Single sign on is generally used as an authentication mechanism. After that, you track your user however you would like. Any syncing or deferring would have to be done on your part. For example, disable profile editing on "children" forums and direct the profile pages to the "parent" forum for viewing/editing.

The hosted version of Vanilla has multisite capability: http://docs.vanillaforums.com/help/multisite/

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• @hgtonight said:

@Stayen said:

... For example, disable profile editing on "children" forums and direct the profile pages to the "parent" forum for viewing/editing.

No, all the forums should allow registering/changing profiles, yet the same user profile should work for all the synced forums.

Yes, I read about multisite, but hosted option isn't an option ATM, sorry for pun.

Thanks.