HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

GoDaddy to Amazon Web Service

okhawajaokhawaja New
edited August 2016 in General Banter

I've been using GoDaddy for a while to do development on my website....It gets very laggy at times when I am uploading files and even after upgrading my hosting it still sucks big time. I am about to go live and I am really nervous about GoDaddy's competency. I've decided I want to migrate my hosting and server files from GoDaddy to Amazon Web Services, but it seems really complicated and painful. Does anyone have any experience with the transition from GoDaddy to AWS?

Tagged:

Comments

• Successfully migrated everything to AWS. Had to delete .ini files in cache folder and everything is now smooth.

• ItsVizionTvItsVizionTv USA New
    edited August 2016

You should make a guide on how to use AWS with VanillaForums.

• @ItsVizionTv said:

I am not sure if I advocate AWS for Vanilla forum hosting...........Just ran into this bug, which I think is caused by AWS XAMP not delivering mail whenever Vanilla tries to mail to send notifications...

It could have been a horrible idea for me to have tried AWS for vanilla because I really don't have time right now to be debugging AWS related issues when my focus is creating content/bringing users to my forum.

• not sure - you may need to use SMTP and set it up properly.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26954998/cant-send-email-from-aws

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@okhawaja

If you don't want to be worried about hosting issues, go with something like Bluehost who are cheap and cheerful, and host Vanilla without any issues.

I had my forum with them for around 5 years

I now host with Digital Ocean on a VPS, which I find much better, but they were fine when I was starting out.

• @okhawaja said:

@ItsVizionTv said:

I am not sure if I advocate AWS for Vanilla forum hosting...........Just ran into this bug, which I think is caused by AWS XAMP not delivering mail whenever Vanilla tries to mail to send notifications...

It could have been a horrible idea for me to have tried AWS for vanilla because I really don't have time right now to be debugging AWS related issues when my focus is creating content/bringing users to my forum.

If you give me some information about your website I could help you set up a basic info structure with NameCheap.com that could work.

My Setup:
    NameCheap Business SSD: - 18$ Month
    CloudFlare Pro: - 20$ Month
    Google Apps: - 5$ Month

Namecheap Business can handle a lot.
    Any Business hosting account may use no more than:
    40 processes < That's like 40 people visiting the website at the same second.
    2GB memory
    60% of CPU time

We may allow a business account to burst up to:
    8GB memory
    400% CPU time

Plus Namecheap offers stuff like VPS and Dedicated Servers that for only $30.00 Month they would manage all the software for you.

• PS:
    My friend uses Amazon AWS and he found that it's not cheap lol the bandwidth cost will you kill you.

• .< I'm so mad right now at how much I have to worry/deal with hosting....I have an email list of 200k users and I HIGHLY doubt GoDaddy will support more than 3000 users even with my upgraded resources on GoDaddy....Amazon was the only thing I thought could handle 200k-1mil+ users because amazon is scalable. FYI: I am launching my own start-up and it's built on Vanilla open source, and pretty much all the people I know that are doing start-ups are doing AWS.........I just want to focus on my content >.<, but at the same time I don't want to disappoint users with a crashed website at 20k users....

• @okhawaja said:

.< I'm so mad right now at how much I have to worry/deal with hosting....I have an email list of 200k users and I HIGHLY doubt GoDaddy will support more than 3000 users even with my upgraded resources on GoDaddy....Amazon was the only thing I thought could handle 200k-1mil+ users because amazon is scalable. FYI: I am launching my own start-up and it's built on Vanilla open source, and pretty much all the people I know that are doing start-ups are doing AWS.........I just want to focus on my content >.<, but at the same time I don't want to disappoint users with a crashed website at 20k users....

What is your budget?

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited August 2016

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• @River said:
    you probably need to set up SMTP properly and contact AWS then test it out. Then test vanilla.

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/242951/#Comment_242951

I'll use GoDaddy for now and in parallel work on setting up SMTP on AWS. This way I don't lose time.

edited August 2016

Okhawaja if you can't pay for something like CloudFlare Business don't use AWS unless you're trying to pay a lot of money for Bandwidth and for your email hosting look into Google Apps or NameCheap WebMail and have you thought about using VanillaForums.com hosting lol they offer a lot of stuff.

PS:
    If I was you I would run CloudFlare Business with Amazon AWS Elastic Beanstalk

https://youtu.be/SrwxAScdyT0

More info:
    https://aws.amazon.com/elasticbeanstalk/

edited August 2016

To tell you my honest point of view I feel like AWS is a bad idea and that you would be better of setting up a load-balancing network like most large sites. But saying you will not get hundreds of visitors a second you should just use a Namecheap Fully Managed Dedicated Server with Cpanel for cheap or just use VanillaForums Cloud hosting.

Read this:
    https://www.rackaid.com/blog/dedicated-cloud-hosting/

Or you could use a Digital Ocean (or similar provider) 512MB VPS for around $6 a month...

It's what I use for my site, and it's more than enough.

• okhawajaokhawaja New
    edited September 2016

@ItsVizionTv
    @whu606

Thanks guys for all the info. I'll look deeper into each solution. VanillaForums Cloud hosting doesn't seem to be an option because I need to be able to edit/make new plugins, and last time I asked support they said we don't allow any changes to your copy of the hosted version. I have a budget of ~$300 per month, but that's expected to grow depending on the success of the start-up.

edited September 2016

@okhawaja

Bear in mind that if you go with a VPS you will need to set up the virtual server, including installing OS and relevant software.

It's not trivial, but there are loads of tutorial walk-throughs.

A big advantage, for me, was the ability to finally use memcached and OP cache, which I think has a far greater impact on site speed than anything PageSpeed reports.

• @whu606 At this point I'm considering Digital Ocean VPS that you mentioned, or NameCheap dedicated server. AWS has already wasted 3 hours of my time trying to figure out why memcache won't install properly, or why the mail plugin for vanilla is still having issues even after Amazon support says the restrictions have been removed.....At this point I'm just like FML because I'm bringing users starting tomorrow to my site and here I am a day before the launch having hosting issues lol...

• @okhawaja said:
    @ItsVizionTv
    @whu606

Thanks guys for all the info. I'll look deeper into each solution. VanillaForums Cloud hosting doesn't seem to be an option because I need to be able to edit/make new plugins, and last time I asked support they said we don't allow any changes to your copy of the hosted version. I have a budget of ~$300 per month, but that's expected to grow depending on the success of the start-up.

Okay, try this, you could get a better server from a host like Ovh.com etc but you would have to take care of all the software.

CloudFlare Pro - 20$ Month
    With CloudFlare Pro, you will see speed differences in your website plus have more Security.

Google Apps/NameCheap Email Hosting - 6$
    It's best not to host your email server on your VPS or Dedicated to help with performance and Security. I would host your support email on Google Apps and your Do-Not-Reply email on NameCheap Email Hosting since they allow you to send up to 1k Email per hour.

Managed Dedicated Server - $265 Month
    Xeon E5-2609 v28 Cores x 2.5 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 - 240 GB SSD - 100 TB with Cpanel.

With the Managed Dedicated Server, you can upgrade or downgrade by just submitting a ticket to Namecheap and they would move all your files for free in under 72 hours. If you use something like Amazon AWS and your site is ever DDOS and you don't have CloudFlare Business or another host that offers Advanced denial of service attack mitigation you can end up paying hundreds of dollars for bandwidth and resources used by bots.

Total: 290$ USD.

• @okhawaja said:
    @whu606 At this point I'm considering Digital Ocean VPS that you mentioned, or NameCheap dedicated server. AWS has already wasted 3 hours of my time trying to figure out why memcache won't install properly, or why the mail plugin for vanilla is still having issues even after Amazon support says the restrictions have been removed.....At this point I'm just like FML because I'm bringing users starting tomorrow to my site and here I am a day before the launch having hosting issues lol...

With Digital Ocean VPS you would have to install everything yourself like PHP, MySQL etc and keep it updated plus optimize all the settings to help with Security & Speed.