HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

GoDaddy to Amazon Web Service

2»

Comments

• I really like your idea because I'm always worried about DOS attacks on the site, so I'll give that a try!

• @okhawaja said:
    I really like your idea because I'm always worried about DOS attacks on the site, so I'll give that a try!

If you're going with the Namecheap setup you should buy this at the checkout page.
    https://www.namecheap.com/security/ssl-certificates/comodo/positivessl.aspx

Note:
    When you're at the checkout page don't forget to add Managed and Cpanel to your chart.

PS:
    If you like I could help you maximize your security and performance if you PM me your CloudFlare and Cpanel login info after your purchased CloudFlare pro and the server.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@okhawaja

Unless you know that your forum is going to generate a significant income from the outset, I would have a serious think about whether you need to get a ton of stuff up front.

I use the free CloudFlare option, a $6/mo 512MB VPS and it's fine for my forum, which gets a fair amount of traffic.

Start small and build up would be my advice.

• @whu606 said:
    @okhawaja

Unless you know that your forum is going to generate a significant income from the outset, I would have a serious think about whether you need to get a ton of stuff up front.

I use the free CloudFlare option, a $6/mo 512MB VPS and it's fine for my forum, which gets a fair amount of traffic.

How hard was it to get Vanilla set-up with PHP/MySQL etc? Any resources you'd recommend? $6/mo sounds amazing! MUCH better than what GoDaddy is charging me and giving me in return.

• @whu606 said:
    @okhawaja

He has a great point lol my setup is only 45$ Month and I can handle up to 40 users loading at the same second. One good thing about VPS is you can upgrade your resources with one click of a button vs having to pay a lot of money for stuff like AWS that certainly not cost effective for what you get. You could get a VPS and pay a 3Party a small fee to set up and optimize all the settings to help with Security & Speed plus maintenance the VPS.

• @okhawaja said:

@whu606 said:
    @okhawaja

How hard was it to get Vanilla set-up with PHP/MySQL etc? Any resources you'd recommend? $6/mo sounds amazing! MUCH better than what GoDaddy is charging me and giving me in return.

You should use a shared host lol.
    Installing the software is easy but because your install MySQL & Apache does not mean you're not going to have to deal with optimizing your settings to help with Security & Speed.

• My Setup:
    NameCheap Business SSD: - 20$ Month
    CloudFlare Pro: - 20$ Month < You could use the free plan but I feel the paid plan is worth the speed and security.
    Google Apps: - 5$ Month < To hide your email from attackers plus save resources that could be used for your website.

Namecheap Business can handle a lot.
    Any Business hosting account may use no more than:
    40 processes < That's like 40 people visiting the website at the same second.
    2GB memory
    60% of CPU time

They allow a business account to burst up to:
    8GB memory
    400% CPU time

Total:
    45$ Month.

PS:
    With Namecheap, the second you buy it you will receive all your information via email plus they will move the files from GoDaddy to Namecheap for free and you will not have to worry about any Settings to help with Security & Speed.

If you're going with the Namecheap setup you should buy this at the checkout page.
    https://www.namecheap.com/security/ssl-certificates/comodo/positivessl.aspx

• I just remember this panel software you could use on a VPS that will install everything you need plus set up itself for free.
    http://www.sentora.org/

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@okhawaja

For Digital Ocean, I found there was a walk-through for everything I needed to do.

If you can follow instructions, it is straightforward but not 'simple' if that makes sense.

I had set up a laptop with a Linux OS, so I was at least vaguely familiar with the process, but I don't think that is essential.

DO only charge you for the time your droplet is up, so you could spend a couple of days having a go at getting it set up, and only have to pay $ 0.007 /hr which would work out to less than 50 cents for 48 hours if you then decided you didn't want it.

• PS:
    I would love to know how your site goes under the infostructure you pick.

• @ItsVizionTv said:
    I just remember this panel software you could use on a VPS that will install everything you need plus set up itself for free.
    http://www.sentora.org/

PS:
    This one would not be as fast or secure as Namecheap Business since they use Cpanel aka the biggest web panel in the world plus NameCheap Business offers CloudFlare Railgun, Pure SSD Disk, eAccelerator, xCache, and Namecheap SSL something that when hook up with CloudFlare could guarantee that all the data transferred between the internet and the server is full encryption. One more thing you should know is your websites speed & SSL could help improve your SEO helping more people find your site on the web.

• Namecheap is definitely the best service for this.

• @VanillaBoy91 said:
    Namecheap is definitely the best service for this.

No it isn't. For one the OP was not asking for a domain registrar. Your necro-posting comes across as spammy.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Namecheap offers hosting services and was previously mentioned in this discussion.

• Ok I apologise then, this sort of necro posting makes me suspicious.

grep is your friend.

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited November 2016

x00 said:
    this sort of necro posting makes me suspicious.

yes because it seems a bit gratuitous, and imparts no other information.

I agree with you seems spammy.

I vote for discussion closure it went nowhere and will go nowhere.

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• I was providing my opinion, apologies if it seems spammy.

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited November 2016

k

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.