HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Introducing "Live Stream Page" Plugin for Your Twitch Channel

ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
edited September 2016 in Feedback

I've just released the Live Stream Page plugin.

If your website has an official Twitch live stream and you want to display it on your Vanilla Forums, this is the plugin for you.

This plugin adds a simple page with a Twitch video embed and chat embed along with a link to it in the main menu. You can show a live status indicator next to the menu link, too. The displayed channel can be configured in the settings.

Currently, the width and height of the embeds are fixed for the default theme and can be changed via your theme's custom CSS file. I couldn't implement a responsive video embed that works at all widths with the chat embed being on the right side of the video embed. If you have a solution for this, please submit a pull request to the GitHub repository.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

The github link gives a 404…

Great idea for a plugin. Someone was here a while ago asking for this.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    The github link gives a 404…

Thanks for informing me! Looks like there was an issue with the GitHub plan, so I contacted support to fix it. You should be able to see the repository now. B)

• @Shadowdare said:
    I've just released the Live Stream Page plugin.

If your website has an official Twitch live stream and you want to display it on your Vanilla Forums, this is the plugin for you.

This plugin adds a simple page with a Twitch video embed and chat embed along with a link to it in the main menu. You can show a live status indicator next to the menu link, too. The displayed channel can be configured in the settings.

Currently, the width and height of the embeds are fixed for the default theme and can be changed via your theme's custom CSS file. I couldn't implement a responsive video embed that works at all widths with the chat embed being on the right side of the video embed. If you have a solution for this, please submit a pull request to the GitHub repository.

You should make a YouTube version of this plugin to support YouTube live streaming.

@ItsVizionTv said:
    You should make a YouTube version of this plugin to support YouTube live streaming.

You can already do that, no need for a plugin…

• @vrijvlinder said:

@ItsVizionTv said:

You can already do that, no need for a plugin…

I know but something custom that shows the live chat and everything vs just showing the stream.

edited September 2016

You can't do that with this plugin, you are asking for something that has nothing to do with this plugin .

Start a new discussion asking someone to make the plugin you want and offer payment as an incentive. I find the need for comments useless. What you want is people to see the stream and then comment about it in your forum. Not in google apps.

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited September 2016

@ItsVizionTv said:

YouTube live embeds would be a little bit different from the Twitch embeds. Each live broadcast to YouTube has its own video link that turns into a recorded video at the end of the session.

I saw a WordPress plugin that provides a YouTube live stream embed shortcode in which it automatically grabs the live stream video link whenever a live broadcast is started on a channel. I've never used this WordPress plugin, but you could take a look and see how this is done.

Incidentally, I was going to name my plugin "Twitch Page," but there are legal issues involved with using Twitch in the name of a program in a way that may imply affiliation with Twitch, so I went with "Live Stream Page."

I'm considering changing the PluginInfo name to "Live Stream Page for Twitch" for clarity, but it would also be nice to have the name be consistent with and not much longer than the plugin's literal name "LiveStreamPage" too.

No need to change the name. It is self evident in the description.

As you say, you tube/google does not offer live broadcasting.And If you want to post your google channel as a widget , that is already available and also possible.