Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Social icons?

I would like to have the icons and functionality of this forum. Is this possible?

The closest I've got is an addin called SocialSharing, but it doesn't look good and it doesn't work. That is, unlike the Twitter link here, it doesn't include a link to the comment.

Am I going about this the wrong way?

Comments

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited September 2016

Those icons are provided by official plugins included in the Vanilla download. In your dashboard, go to the "Social" settings page in the Forums Settings. As an example, if you enable Twitter Social Connect and then go to its configuration page, you can enable the Social Reactions feature, but you'll need a consumer key and consumer secret.

Check out this blog post: https://blog.vanillaforums.com/help/social-media-integrations-vanilla-forums/

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Thanks, that's great.

I've now set it up. The only thing is that when I click the icons here at Vanilla, they link directly to the comment. That doesn't happen on my forum which means it's not very useful.

How can I set that up? Is that possible? Do I need to modify something to get the link to pick up the comment number?

• ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited September 2016

@Suzy said:
    I've now set it up. The only thing is that when I click the icons here at Vanilla, they link directly to the comment. That doesn't happen on my forum which means it's not very useful.

That is a bug in the current release of Vanilla where the URL of the comment social reaction is set to the discussion's URL instead of the comment's URL. It has been fixed in the latest development code, which I don't recommend that you use. For now, you can apply the fix to your install by simply changing one line of code in the following file like so: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/commit/c14c213a48bfea938ef9e15aad4dfef585b32aa4

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• You're an angel. Thank you so much. It's 21 minutes to forum public launch time :)

• PS Works perfectly now. Thanks so much.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I am totally adding "Oh my!" to the default set of Reactions. That is brilliant.