Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

private message box limit

I am writing with google translate. im sorry :)

Hi
I have a question about private messages.

Is there a limit for private messages? You can create a large number of messages on server load. and a private message system for advertising purposes can be engaged in flood collectively written.

How this problem can be solved? Is there no limit private message?

I want to put a quota for posts.

thank you.

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You mean like a way to limit people from sending unwanted private messages ?

Nothing like that available as far as I know. There is flood control for Discussion posts and comments but nothing for private messages... probably because most bots and people do not tend to use private messages to spam, because in order to be allowed to send private messages, you would have to be a registered member. I suggest you get rid of spammers.

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxxb9Qh3Y7c&feature=youtu.be

I want to cancel the sending of bulk messages

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@misantropist

Only a registered user can send a message.

Make it a forum rule that there is a limit to how many people can be added to a PM.

Make it a rule that people who send messages that are unsolicited advertising will be banned immediately.

Ban people who don't follow the rule.

• Options

rules put a last resort. I'm looking for automatic security system. and if possible I want to remove the bulk messaging.

and another problem: the old messages are accumulated to occupy hosting. To fill the host. problems inode limits. plugin or method you need to clear old messages automatically.

thanks

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited October 2016

There is a maximum recipient config setting Conversations.MaxRecipients. That is the most folks a non-admin can send a single message to. No limit is set by default.

This is flood control for private messaging to prevent users sending hundreds of messages quickly. It's managed along with the rest of the Flood Control settings in the Dashboard.

Private messages are also filtered thru whatever spam plugins you are using (like Akismet).

There is no maximum to total sent messages for all time. This could negatively impact long term users.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

@misantropist said:
    I want to cancel the sending of bulk messages

If you test this feature on vanillaforums.org users again, you will be banned. It is not acceptable.