Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Many errors in comments and count metric with Applicant

Maybe this has been sorted, but I really didn't find mention of it anywhere.

In my forum i have approval setup, so every user when added shows up in the applicants list, and someone has to approve them.
I changed permissions to avoid spam(in fact this is the only reason for using the applications system), so applicants need their posts to be approved by at least a mod before publishing.

What happens is, if anyone posts before they are approved, the entire count system gets messed up.
When I approve the post and the account, it doesn't show up in the "categories" page, under it's category. It has other mistakes like counting 1 comment even if there isn't any comment(it's a new post). I'm not sure what other counts get broken.

As a side note, all of this is because I wanted a way to require user's first post to be approved.
Other forum engines have a system where after the user matches X requirement(like having 1 post count, hence approved) the user changes 'role', Vanilla doesn't have that, the closest thing it has is the approval system, that's why I'm using it.

I'm guessing this is a bug, if anyone knows about it, has any suggestions or believes I should open an issue on github, let me know.
Thanks anyways. ;)

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Having that registration method without a backup will result in bot spam.

Count can differ based on browser, cache system or bots. There are plugins to fix that.

Approval only approves the user and turns them into a member with posting capabilities.

I suggest you read the available documentation. It will save you time.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

You can fix the denormalized counts by running the /dba/counts endpoint.

As far as automatic role changing, this is a great use of Yaga. You can restrict pretty much anything via a role and the rank can give out a role. So your basic role can only post in one category (e.g. "Welcome" or "Read the Rules" categories). Then a moderator "approves" the post via a moderator only reaction. Then the user "ranks up" to a role that has general permissions.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Thanks!! I actually knew about the dba counts but forgot, thanks for reminding me!

I tried yaga,I actually wanted to use that initially, couldn't get it to work. I tried setting it to a role that needed approval then after a certain post count-> new role, regular member no approval. But couldn't get it to work in my tests.

Have you tried this yourself? Maybe I'm doing something wrong in any way. Details are always the catch.

Thanks again!

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

I was suggesting configuring Yaga in such a manner that manual approval of accounts isn't needed. You essentially let anyone in with a very restricted set of permissions (post/comment only in a specific category). Then you give someone their start by using a mod only approval reaction that kicks them up to the next rank. Am I explaining this sufficiently? If not, I will try to share a configuration that I think works well.

I haven't done any extensive testing of manually approved accounts in quite some time.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

The thing is, no matter how I set it, role setting/switching for yaga doesn't seem to work.
    Whatever value i set in the "role" input of the rank settings gets completely ignored.

It would be great of it didn't.

In my forum, one of the systems that we have to have is where at least first posts are approved by mods.

In smf i did this through a 'roles' switching system, much like yaga. But since it was builtin, it just worked. :anguished:

Thanks for the help @hgtonight