Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Problems installing Vanilla 2.3

Hello everyone !

Today i am trying to install vanilla 2.3 on my web server. I correctly changed the config.php and putted every files on the right directory, but when i'm trying to access to the forum, this return this error : "404 forum/dashboard/setup not found". Maybe i'm doing it the wrong way ? Need help !
(Worked with previous versions of Vanilla but after a mess on the website with no backup this seems to refuse to work)

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@SenzaiSh0w

Welcome to the community.

Where did you get the idea you needed to change the config.php file, and how did you change it?

AfaIk, config.php is written on installation.

Did you download the Vanilla files from here?

Did you unzip them before uploading to your server or after?

• I will delete the created config.php file. I downloaded Vanilla from this website and i unzip them before uploading them on the website.
    I juste wanted to start the configuration of Vanilla but return the error that i said before.

OK

Re-upload all the files.

After that, you should just have to go to the folder you have loaded them to via your web browser, and the installation page should load for you.

• I did it first time, without touching anything in the files and the error returns the same.
    "404 File not found /forum/dashboard/setup"

• Just re-uploaded the files and when i'm trying to reach the /forum folder of my website it returns
    "404 File not found /forum/dashboard/setup".

• If i install it on local using the DB that i will use on my website, and then upload the installed files on my website to avoid this problem, should it work ?

It might work, but I'd be inclined to identify what the issue is on your server.

What folder do you upload the Vanilla files into on your webserver?

• In a folder called forum. Placed right in the www.

So you get the message when you go to

www.yourwebstie.com/forum

Do you have a htaccess file not relating to Vanilla (assuming you are on an apache server) or any other kind of re-dircets going on?

• I asked the same question to a friend which is using the website aslwell but he told me that it was not the case. I'll go and check this by myself to be sure.

• Just checked and there is no .htaccess in any folder nor in www.

This answer helped another user with a 404 error:

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/243513/#Comment_243513

Might be worth a look.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Take the .htaccess.dist file from the zip, upload it to your file server where you put the rest of your forum files, then rename it to .htaccess.