Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Banned user management

Hello,
There is a plugin for the management of banned users?
I have thousands of banned users in my forum, I would like to manage them, like removing the ban for some users, or delete them from the database, or delete those with no post and something like it.
There is a plugin for that?
Thank you

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Hmmm... that sounds like a great addition to my BulkEdit plugin. Starred for my next revision.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• So there is nothing like that at the moment??

• MySQL query to delete all banned users:

DELETE FROM gdn_user WHERE Banned = 1

Delete all banned users without posts:

DELETE FROM gdn_user where Banned = 1 AND CountComments < 1 AND CountDiscussions < 1

I think you can delete users from the database directly without too many adverse effects. But I'd wait until someone else chimes in who knows more about the inner workings of Vanilla.

I'd also recommend making a backup of your database before you start editing it.

@Caylus said:

I think you can delete users from the database directly without too many adverse effects. But I'd wait until someone else chimes in who knows more about the inner workings of Vanilla.

This is only true if you also remove all associated content when you do the ban.

I'd also recommend making a backup of your database before you start editing it.

:+1:

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Ah, I tried removing an user from the database before I posted and didn't get any errors. Posts of them just became associated with "unknown".

Is there any catastrophic thing that can happen if users suddenly disappear?

@Caylus said:
    Ah, I tried removing an user from the database before I posted and didn't get any errors. Posts of them just became associated with "unknown".

Is there any catastrophic thing that can happen if users suddenly disappear?

The main thing is database inconsistency (essentially orphan records). Plugins can potentially break if there is a dangling user id.

Search first

• Thank you for this informations, but I have a very active forum, I would not risk that some plugins may no longer work or generate some fatal error.

I hope in some update

@matamata said:
    Thank you for this informations, but I have a very active forum, I would not risk that some plugins may no longer work or generate some fatal error.

I hope in some update

1. Clone your site to a local server
    2. Experiment
    3. Once successful implement on your production site
    4. Profit!

Search first

• matamatamatamata New
    edited February 2017

Thanks, I'm already trying locally, migration've done.

The query does not work:

DELETE FROM WHERE gdn_user Banned = 1 AND CountComments <1 AND CountDiscussions <1;
    / * Rows affected: 0 Rows found: 0 Warnings: 0 Duration of 1 query: 0.234 sec. * /

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Look at your query.

DELETE

FROM ????? you haven't defined the table

WHERE gdn_user Banned = 1 AND CountComments <1 AND CountDiscussions <1;

• matamatamatamata New
    edited February 2017

You're right, I copied the query from a previous post, I did not realize the error.
    But even with the correct query works:

DELETE FROM gdn_user WHERE Banned = 1 AND CountComments <1 AND CountDiscussions <1;
        / * Rows affected: 0 Rows found: 0 Warnings: 0 Duration of 1 query: 0.203 sec. * /

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

CountComments and CountDiscussions might be NULL and you have strict mode enabled?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Is your table gdn_user or is it GDN_User?

• My table is gdn_user

But i tested both with gdn_user and GDN_user

• @R_J said:
    CountComments and CountDiscussions might be NULL and you have strict mode enabled?

^^ This. Could you try:
    DELETE FROM gdn_user WHERE Banned = 1 AND CountComments = NULL AND CountDiscussions = NULL

• matamatamatamata New
    edited February 2017

Still nothing

DELETE FROM gdn_user WHERE Banned = 1 AND CountComments = NULL AND CountDiscussions = NULL;
    / * Rows affected: 0 Rows found: 0 Warnings: 0 Duration of 1 query: 0.235 sec. * /
    DELETE FROM GDN_User WHERE Banned = 1 AND CountComments = NULL AND CountDiscussions = NULL;
    / * Rows affected: 0 Rows found: 0 Warnings: 0 Duration of 1 query: 0.203 sec. * /

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Could you just please confirm with a SELECT COUNT(UserID) FROM GDN_User WHERE Banned = 1 that there are still banned users?

And afterwards

SELECT DISTINCT CountComments, CountDiscussions
    FROM GDN_User
    WHERE Banned = 1

to see what we could delete...

• Check this screenshot

http://imgur.com/a/H7xeD

• Could you scroll down in that second query (with 293 results) if you see any 0 or NULLs?

• You mean the fourth query with 393 results?
    In the second query there are 0 results
    Nowhere I have 293

I find 0 or null nowhere

http://imgur.com/a/q39O0