Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

importing SMF2 is stuck with error Data file directory (.../uploads/import/import) is not writable.

I am migrating SMF2 from one hosting to Vanilla latest stable on another hosting. I could easily export with the porter php file and it created a export_xxxx.txt.gz file for me.

When I try to import the export_xxxx.txt.gz file and start the import, the process starts and hangs at "Process Import File" with red bar right at top which says

Data file directory (/home/desaia/electronicsforum.in/uploads/import/import) is not writable.

I have already tried to delete the /import folder from /uploads and when I try the process again with nothing in /uploads it creates the import dir with the a xxxxx.gz file (its exact same filesize as I upload).

I also tried giving 777 or 755 permission to the import folder. but it still gets stuck with the Data file directory is not writable error as below:

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

The uploads folder needs to be writeable . Make sure the uploads folder has 775 permission

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    The uploads folder needs to be writeable . Make sure the uploads folder has 775 permission

Nope, Not working.

• I cleared everything in /uploads.
    • Did chmod -R 775 /uploads
    • clicked on import on Vannila admin page, selected file to upload, entered old admin email, click start
    • this step above, creates an /import folder inside /uploads, and puts the .txt.gz file inside import.
    • click on continue on vanilla admin.
    • stuck with error Data file directory (/xxx/xxx/xxxx.com/uploads/import/import) is not writable.
  • Options

Issue Solved. This is definitely a bug or something.

Error message is Data file directory (/xxx/xxx/xxxx.com/uploads/import/import) is not writable.

However, in the forum directory, if you clear the /uploads folder (that is if you empty the /upload directory) and assign it 775 access. When the import is done and gets stuck the txt.gz file actually reasides at /xxx/xxx/xxxx.com/uploads/import/xxxx.txt.gz while the error message talks about /xxx/xxx/xxxx.com/uploads/import/import.

I cleared everything from /uploads and created folders /uploads/import/import and assigned 775 access to /uploads and bingo, it imported my forum in seconds, very neat and clean.