Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Are these 2.3 changes?

old_manold_man New
edited March 2017 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Did my site somehow get automatically updated to 2.3? Or did someone on our admin committee do it without telling? BTW, we have 2.3 now, which I am quite certain we did not have the last time I checked.

Anyway, we began to have 3 changes crop up, all at the same time, about 2 days ago. Only one is a problem, but I'll describe all three in case it's diagnostic:

1. The default avatar image suddenly changed. Not a problem, but it seemed to happen on its own. People with custom images stayed the same.

2. Historically, we changed the "thankful people" buttons to say "Hell Yeah!," and "Damn Straight!" So, whenever someone wants to "Hell Yeah!" a post, the user name appears in a list below the post, right after "Damn Straight," just like always, but now there is a counter number in front, telling how many people have hit the "Hell Yeah!" button. Not an issue, just here for information.

3. OK, now the problem. Whenever you hit the "Hell Yeah!" button, the page refreshes to the top of the page, which is causing a lot of consternation from our members.

Again, all three issues cropped up simultaneously. Was it the 2.3 update?

How do we fix symptom number 3?

Thanks to all.

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Sorry for your problems. Since you did not show a specific error or tell us what plugin is involved in this, or if it is a locale issue that got overwritten by the update.

Would love to help, but we need more info....

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited March 2017

@old_man

Vanilla won't automatically update, so someone who had access to your server did that.

It looks like Thankful People was bundled in to the core plugins for 2.3, so that would have over-written your previous changes during the upgrade process.

Try disabling the plugin, clearing the ini files from cache, and then re-enabling the plugin to see if that corrects the top of the page issue.

If you have a backup of your site, you could try replacing the Thankful plugin with your old version.

• whu606, sound advice. Godaddy hosts the site, and they have some kind of tie-in with VF, or so I am told. Maybe they updated it. We have storage and restore point storage with them.

And your first idea is pretty obvious, which explains why I needed your help.

Trying it now.

• Here are the files that were auto updated, and the time for all of these match the onset of the problem:

folder: mysql_backup
    i3024973_vf1.sql.gz
    4.52 MB
    Mar 15, 2017 12:07 AM
    package/x-generic

folder: application_backups
    app_bravesbullpen-com_Braves-Bullpen_2017-03-15_14-40-29.tar.gz
    33.76 MB
    Mar 15, 2017 4:40 PM
    package/x-generic

folder: mail/new
    1489610441.M660503P239782.a2plcpnl0814.prod.iad2.secureserver.net,S=1792,W=1824
    1.75 KB
    text/x-generic

folder: mail/new
    1489610458.M971444P239782.a2plcpnl0814.prod.iad2.secureserver.net,S=1581,W=1610
    1.54 KB
    text/x-generic

folder: applications
    dashboard
    4 KB
    httpd/unix-directory

I am told we have "Installatron" set to allow all but the most significant updates. I guess it scans for updates and installs for us.

OK, on "clearing all ini files," are these the ones?

a_conversations_controller_map.ini
    264 bytes
    Yesterday 5:26 PM
    text/x-generic

a_conversations_library_map.ini
    860 bytes
    Yesterday 11:14 PM
    text/x-generic

a_dashboard_controller_map.ini
    1.95 KB
    Yesterday 9:40 PM
    text/x-generic

a_dashboard_library_map.ini
    3.28 KB
    Yesterday 1:10 PM
    text/x-generic

a_vanilla_controller_map.ini
    827 bytes
    Yesterday 3:54 PM
    text/x-generic

a_vanilla_library_map.ini
    1.18 KB
    Yesterday 1:10 PM
    text/x-generic

locale_map.ini
    754 bytes
    Yesterday 12:13 PM
    text/x-generic

p_core_library_map.ini
    248 bytes
    Yesterday 12:15 PM
    text/x-generic

And to "clear" do I simply move these files to my trash file, i.e., eliminate from the site?

Finally, nothing in the ThankfulPeople2 plugin was updated, so would removing it and then reinstalling it do any good? I suspect not.

First I am going to disable, clear ini files, then enable the plugin.

Thanks.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited March 2017

@old_man

Yes, just delete any file in the cache folder with the .ini extension.

Sorry, I misread the issue with 'Hell Yeah!', and thought it had reverted to the original text.

I'd assume the counter was an innovation with the version shipped with Vanilla.

If you didn't want it, you could probably hide it via CSS

• old_manold_man New
    edited March 2017

Well did all of this, still nothing.

Here is the add-on we are running:
    Version 2.2.4|Requires: Vanilla Version >=2.2|By Nyr

It was last updated November 2015, and we did not put up the site until November 2016.

I also removed the plugin from the site, and re-installed it.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I think my discussion caption is not very good at this point. It should read, "Thankful People refreshed to top of page with 2.3"

Is it proper protocol to start a new discussion with this title, and recite what has been done so far? I have searched "Thankful" and see nothing on this.

• old_manold_man New
    edited March 2017

BTW, when I right click on the "Hell Yeah" button, and select "inspect," I get this:

a href="/plugin/thankfor/comment/35825?Target=discussion/73/2-24-17-let-the-games-begin/p70">Hell Yeah!</a

Complete novice question here, but is this html "Target" of "page 70" (that's the page of the discussion I was on when I did this) what is refreshing me back to the top of page 70?

I'm happy to re-write some code if I knew what to edit. I gather the comment I randomly selected was comment #35825 on the site. Can it be edited to re-direct back to the message you just thanked?