Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Total Views

Is there any quick way to add total views?

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Creating a custom Smarty function is quite easy. The only tricky thing might be to get "total views". What would you expect that this number shows?

• @ Rall topic views total> @R_J said:

Creating a custom Smarty function is quite easy. The only tricky thing might be to get "total views". What would you expect that this number shows?

All topic views total

I've made a pull request and until that is accepted, yu can try my form: https://github.com/r-j/ReusableStats

Just for your information: there is a new version available which has your proposed enhancement included.

• @R_J said:
    Just for your information: there is a new version available which has your proposed enhancement included.

I am already using that one it dont tell you how many views total

Sorry, I'm irritated by that "already". There is a new version which includes an enhancement. Are you using that new version and the enhancement isn't working?

• kopnakopna Coimbra Portugal ☯

@R_J

I have a question for you
    how does it work? Have a screenshot to see how it looks?
    Thank you

@kopna:
    Nope, I have no screenshot. In order to see any effect, you are required to write a custom theme. The custom theme is a Smarty template and the plugin simply provides placeholders for a value. So if you add {$total_views} anywhere in your themes default.master.tpl in will be replaced with a number. Nothing more, nothing less. It is up to the theme designer to transform a naked 16492 to a fancy

Believe it or not, but the discussions in our forum has been viewed 16492 times!

I think a module providing the same information with translatable texts might be more handy for many users, but providing those numbers leaves a lot of power to those who know how to write a Smarty template.

If you are interested in writing a plugin which shows this information as a module in the panel and you are willing to do some of the required work by yourself, I would happily guide you.
    But I know that a developer already has written such a plugin which simply is not yet released.

@Rome:
    Please be more specific. Is that a screenshot of something you have built based on the ReusableStats plugin? Or is it a screenshot of the Forum Stats plugin that you were looking for and which the guys from CodeSequence have built?

• kopnakopna Coimbra Portugal ☯

@R_J :
    Nope, I have no screenshot. In order to see any effect, you are required to write a custom theme. The custom theme is a Smarty template and the plugin simply provides placeholders for a value. So if you add {$total_views} anywhere in your themes default.master.tpl in will be replaced with a number. Nothing more, nothing less. It is up to the theme designer to transform a naked 16492 to a fancy

Believe it or not, but the discussions in our forum has been viewed 16492 times!

I think a module providing the same information with translatable texts might be more handy for many users, but providing those numbers leaves a lot of power to those who know how to write a Smarty template.

If you are interested in writing a plugin which shows this information as a module in the panel and you are willing to do some of the required work by yourself, I would happily guide you.
    But I know that a developer already has written such a plugin which simply is not yet released.

Thanks for the your answer. So, the need graphical interface to display beautiful plugin. Sadly, I do not have even the basic skills of working with Smarty. I could try in your free time to learn.

You will find tutorials on how to create a custom theme here. As soon as you have created one, simply add `{$total_views}´ somewhere in the default.master.tpl of your custom theme and it would be replaced with the number you need. You will need more html/css skills for that.

If you do not have the skills you either have to learn a lot or wait until the someone else publishes such a plugin.