Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Hidden categories?

edited April 2017 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello all

I got a little problem on my forums:

Some categories are supposed hidden to guests and members (yes, I checked twice), but as soon I sign out (as admin), the said categories are shown on the main page.
Is there a way (anything) to fix this, please?

Thanks by advance

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Answer ✓

Okay

The problem seems coming from the default roles assigned to each (Dashboard/Roles & Permissions), maybe because of the custom roles I added.

So, the solution, in my case was to remove all default roles except for Guests, Unconfirmed and Applicants.

Now it works perfectly =)

Answers

• Check the permissions for Guests and Members.
    Go to Dashboard -> Users, Roles & Permissions -> Edit Guest or Member
    Untick "View" in the category you want to hide.

• Thanks

But that's what I did of course, and that's why I find this strange.

• @R_J

Ah, very good to know, and maybe here's the reason. Indeed, some users have more than one.

Many thanks, I check this immediately.

• Fixed

Once again, many thanks

• @R_J said:
    Please make sure your users only have one role. There might be inconsistencies if they have more than one.

Can you elaborate on what inconsistencies (beyond the OP's issue) might occur?

Any thoughts on why, when editing a user, it is possible to "Check all roles that apply to this user:"?

• Really sorry but one problem remains:

All members roles works correctly except guests which can see anything they want. O.o

Any solution?

• Answer ✓

Okay

The problem seems coming from the default roles assigned to each (Dashboard/Roles & Permissions), maybe because of the custom roles I added.

So, the solution, in my case was to remove all default roles except for Guests, Unconfirmed and Applicants.

Now it works perfectly =)

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@dafriend said:

@R_J said:
    Please make sure your users only have one role. There might be inconsistencies if they have more than one.

Can you elaborate on what inconsistencies (beyond the OP's issue) might occur?

You can read about my concerns here: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues/5465
    I haven't tested it but I assume that the role with the lowest ID is used for category view permissions.

@dafriend said:

Any thoughts on why, when editing a user, it is possible to "Check all roles that apply to this user:"?

Is your question why it is possible to check more than one role when multiple roles might cause problems? I can see two possible reasons for this:
    1. Maybe that permission problem is a real problem and it needs to be fixed
    2. It may cause problems but it must not

The problems that I found where only connected to category view permissions. The roles can be used for other permissions, too and I don't think there is a problem with those checks. But I really haven't tested that.

It might be worth a little bit more testing with the Vanilla Beta, especially since Vanilla 2.4 changed the permission somehow: https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/33066/preview-release-2-4-beta

• edited April 2017

"Replace "Hide Category" with "Mute Category" option (that only hides from Recent Discussions)."

This feature was essential in my case, so I got now 2solutions:

1. No update to 2.4
    2. I have to think to give up Vanilla and move to another platform.

Sad...really

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@keltwookie said:
    "Replace "Hide Category" with "Mute Category" option (that only hides from Recent Discussions)."

This feature was essential in my case, so I got now 2solutions:

1. No update to 2.4
    2. I have to think to give up Vanilla and move to another platform.

Sad...really

Are you sure you have understood it correctly?
    Until 2.3 users could hide categories and a hidden category could easily be forgotten.

Starting from 2.4 that feature is replaced by "muting" a discussion. The effect for the category module in the panel and the recent discussion list is exactly the same.

Go and try it out here! This forum already uses this feature. Take a look at the cog wheels on the categories page, mute a category and see if you can live with the new way to hide discussions from the recent discussions list: https://open.vanillaforums.com/categories

• edited April 2017

Well, stop me if I'm wrong, but yes, it seems that I well understood, so: Muting a category hide it from the recent discussions, okay, but it is apparently still reachable by clicking on « categories ».

Some explanations:
    What I want is that the hidden sections of my forums can't be reachable by unauthorized members

• Alriiiight (deep breath) !

So yes, I did not well understood... And really sorry for my false worries (huh...right word?)

• Thanks for the issue link. Maybe it's a 2.4b thing.

I'm not trying to create mutually exclusive sets of categories and then trying to assign roles such that both sets are available. But I have setup a role (let's call it DinnerRole) that allows access to one category and assigned it along with 'member' to a user. It works the way I expected - users without DinnerRole cannot see the category. I'm using v2.3 which maybe accounts for it working.

Yes, my question was why allow more than one role if that might cause problems. Your first reason was the conclusion I jumped to. But I may not understand all I know. =)