Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

Hi everyone,

I'm a long time Vanilla Forum fan here. I haven't had a website in a few years but my wife and I recently launched one. I've been having the absolute worst luck getting Vanilla Forums installed. We had to relocate our domain to a new server because of connection issues. It was so slow we couldn't even upload the package without it timing out. I've finally gotten everything installed but I don't even know how to describe this problem. I can't really think of any keywords to use to search the community. It's like the home page is just stuck. The recent discussions show up when you click on Sign In inside the popup window. I just don't know what to make of it. Has anyone seen the application act this way before? I've asked my new host for assistance or access to logs but they just keep advising me to check the application, everything's good on their end. I really don't want to have to go through changing hosts again but I really want to use this product. Is there any way to purchase just support from Vanilla Forums? Like, on an hourly basis or something similar?

Thanks!

URL: http://goo.gl/pCeZJM
PHP Version 5.6
Software Version 2.3.1

Comments

• I've enabled debugging if that helps.

• I didn't exactly fix it but I have a good idea of what's going on. It's a problem with the way the server is handling the htaccess configuration for Vanilla. The host isn't cooperating with me, so we're going to change hosts.. Again.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You are having issues... not sure how you installed but the urls, go to index.. that is not normal. Please explain what you did.. post your htaccess file here...

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You are not alone. I remember that this problem has come up more than once, I don't remember the solution though...

If it is a htaccess problem, you can solve it yourself. Please replace the current .htaccess with this file and try again: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/vanilla/vanilla/release/2.2/.htaccess

• @vrijvlinder said:
    You are having issues... not sure how you installed but the urls, go to index.. that is not normal. Please explain what you did.. post your htaccess file here...

I installed it in a sub DIR called index. I believe I've ran the application in a sub DIR before. That shouldn't cause a problem, no?

@R_J said:
    You are not alone. I remember that this problem has come up more than once, I don't remember the solution though...

If it is a htaccess problem, you can solve it yourself. Please replace the current .htaccess with this file and try again: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/vanilla/vanilla/release/2.2/.htaccess

I replaced the htaccess file but I'm still having the same problem :(

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Do you have access to your servers error log files? They should be helpful.

Just in order to make sure that this is a htaccess problem: add $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = false; to your /conf/config.php and reload your page. If it is working that way, you have a htaccess rewrite problem. If not, we have to look elsewhere.

If it is working afterwards, make sure you have the RewriteModule installed.

Try changing the name of the sub directory to something other than index...

• RyanHRyanH New
    edited August 2017

@R_J said:
    Do you have access to your servers error log files? They should be helpful.

Just in order to make sure that this is a htaccess problem: add $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = false; to your /conf/config.php and reload your page. If it is working that way, you have a htaccess rewrite problem. If not, we have to look elsewhere.

If it is working afterwards, make sure you have the RewriteModule installed.

This didn't fix it. Unfortunately, the host isn't being very helpful and I don't have access to server logs.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Try changing the name of the sub directory to something other than index...

I changed the name from index to site and it broke the application. I got the "something went wrong" message. I changed it back to index. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall in root of public_html this evening.

No, I meant change the entire installation into another subdirectory called forum or anything other than index.

Reinstall the entire thing in a new subdirectory.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    No, I meant change the entire installation into another subdirectory called forum or anything other than index.

Reinstall the entire thing in a new subdirectory.

I'll give it a try this evening and let you know the result.

If you still have problems, post the htaccess file here...