Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Links - Best Practice w/ Embeded Forum

donovanbdonovanb
edited June 2017 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello!

Okay, I have a question about allowing links when using the embed feature. The main issue is that, if not correctly entered, links can embed entire forum site into the iFrame, perhaps endlessly.

I have allowed HTML and Markdown... so I can do links like:
[here ](/forum#/categories/editor "here ")
or
<a href="http://www.yourdomain.com/subscribe" class="btn btn-link" >LINK</a>
or
<a href="/forum#/categories/member-off-topic" class="btn btn-link" target="_parent">here</a>

So, for example, this link:
<a href="/forum#/categories/member-off-topic" >here</a>

Will embed the entire site. Changing the above to:
<a href="/forum#/categories/member-off-topic" target="_parent">here</a>

will correct the link to parent... however, then any links to that page also have to call parent in order to work.

Instead, all calls could be hard coded:
<a href="http://www.yourdomain.com/subscribe" >LINK</a>

This "fixes" any embed issues... but what if you have a dev site that you practice with.. dev.yourdomain.com.. then it's annoying to hard code links because none of them work when in dev.

What's your guys solution for this problem.. I want to make it easy for users to add links in their posts that just simply work and don't cause problems. The only thing I have come up with that seems reliable is to require the FQDN in links. They won't work in Dev, but maybe that is Okay.

Thanks!
Donovan

Comments

• Well, my solution was to switch the advanced editor to BBCODE.. which basically disables HTML.. which I think works in my particular situation.

• This doesn't fix the situation for me. Everytime you embed link in a post on my forum, regardless of the advanced editor settings or coding language used, you end up with a broken path that leads you to currentdiscussion.com/"posted link".

I've tried changing advanced editor to Markdown, BB Code, and HTML, and the bug exists for all of them. Where do I find the necessary code to change this broken path?

• A broken path is a different issue than link destinations being embedded. I suggest you start a new thread with your question, or do more searching.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

If what you want is to make all links open in the parent window, you can use jQuery to add the target = _parent to all links that are posted .

jQuery(document).ready(function($){
        $( "a" ).attr( "target", "_parent" );
        });

If you want to only affect the links in the comments,

$( ".Comment a" ).attr( "target", "_parent" );
        });

• vrijvlinder.. that's a "why didn't I think of that" moment... Good idea.

Donovan

@vrijvlinder said:
    If what you want is to make all links open in the parent window, you can use jQuery to add the target = _parent to all links that are posted .

$( "a" ).attr( "target", "_parent" );
        });

If you want to only affect the links in the comments,

$( ".Comment a" ).attr( "target", "_parent" );
        });