Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

I need help uploading Open Source onto my server PLEASE HELP

So I did this years ago and I cant remember how
I have a domain with HostGator (I used them before)
but I cant figure out how to upload vanilla
I uploaded the plugin to my wordpress but Im lost and think I skipped some steps

Comments

• I really need a step by step lesson LOL

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@kryan1990

Welcome to the community.

It's not really clear where your problem lies.

The README is pretty clear. ( https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/master/README.md )

If you have downloaded the Vanilla zip file, and can't upload it to your host, then you need to ask your host for help.

• Where am I supposed to upload it? Do I upload it to files? That's my question mainly
    I contacted my host and they were just trying to get me to buy more stuff which I know I don't need

I have the vanilla zip downloaded
    I just don't know how to upload it to my server

• Where would I upload it?

• Is it file manager?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Honestly? I mean do you really think any of the other options could be working? How would you upload anything with "Reset Password"? :lol:

You have to upload those files. "Files" because you have to unzip the file you have downloaded from here.

Far more better than using the interface of a hosting service to upload files is to use an FTP client. FileZilla is a good FTP client.

And before you can connect Wordpress and Vanilla, you have to set up Vanilla.

• Okay I wasnt sure if I needed to be in manage database or what. So after I upload it, what do I do after that?
    I originally had a friend helping me but I cant get ahold of them. I really want to learn

• And Im assuming I upload the entire zip folder

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Please don't take that personal but if you really have no clue at all I wouldn't want you as the admin of a forum I'm using.
    You better should install a local server (google for "WAMP" = Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP) and test everything on that, not on your live server.

• Im just wanting to learn all this :/

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Create a subdirectory and call it forum. Then install Vanilla in that folder. File Manager is where your uploaded and installed files live. That is where you create a subdirectory to install Vanilla.

• Thank you so much

• Can anyone message me and give me a walk through on this please
    I would so appreciate it

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Yes, there are step by step tutorials this is an example.

http://support.hostgator.com/articles/video-tutorial-system

This is not a kinder Garden, you need to learn the basics on your own.

• Thanks for your help