HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Introducing the Feed Discussion Plus plugin

rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one"NY ✭✭✭

The Feed Discussions Plus plugin was created with the intent of increasing forum engagement by importing relevant information from multiple external sources.
You can import feeds from sites that support RSS, Twitter Feeds, and YouTube channels.
Each feed import definition has its own settings -- to which category to save the imported items, how frequent to check for new items, which filters must be satisfied to save new discussions, and several other options. Read the included guide for more information (click "Readme" on the plugin admin screen).

Comments

• Hi @rbrahmson your plugin support rss feed group facebook,

Regards,

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Hi @terabytefrelance,
    Thanks for using my plugin. is this a question?;-)
    The short answer is no. The long answer is not yet... How would you like this to work?

• There is some way to select the news to import with the plugin without any filter.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

Sure, filters of any type (OR filters, AND filters) or "Minimum number of words" are optional. If not specified the entire feed will be imported.

BTW, I'm working on the next version (adding functionality not yet imported from our intranet).

• The idea that I raised would be good that it would motre all the feed that can be imported and that could be selected which ones are imported, it would be great, it works excellent.

I'm not sure I understand... please explain.
    Does the plugin work for you?

BTW, next version will include a text file with hundreds of news feed sites urls.

• edited November 2017

If it works well, although in some feeds it only matters the description and not the content example:

<item>
        <title>UE prepara sanciones selectivas contra funcionarios de Venezuela</title>
        <link>http://efectococuyo.com/politica/ue-prepara-sanciones-selectivas-contra-funcionarios-de-venezuela</link>
        <comments>http://efectococuyo.com/politica/ue-prepara-sanciones-selectivas-contra-funcionarios-de-venezuela#respond</comments>
        <pubDate>Mon, 13 Nov 2017 13:19:41 +0000</pubDate>
        <dc:creator><![CDATA[Efecto Cocuyo &#124; @efectococuyo]]></dc:creator>
                <category><![CDATA[Política]]></category>
        <category><![CDATA[Principales]]></category>
        <category><![CDATA[Crtisis]]></category>
        <category><![CDATA[democracia]]></category>
        <category><![CDATA[dialogo]]></category>
        <category><![CDATA[Dictadura]]></category>
        <category><![CDATA[Embargo de Armas]]></category>
        <category><![CDATA[Europa]]></category>
        <category><![CDATA[Negociación]]></category>
        <category><![CDATA[Represión]]></category>
        <category><![CDATA[Sanciones]]></category>
        <category><![CDATA[UE]]></category>
        <category><![CDATA[Venezuela]]></category>

<guid isPermaLink="false">http://efectococuyo.com/?p=132495</guid>
        <description><![CDATA[Los ministros puntualizaron que podrán dar marcha atrás a las sanciones "en función de la evolución de la situación en el país".]]></description>
        <content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Los<strong> ministros de Exteriores de la Unión Europea (UE)</strong> respaldaron este lunes, 13 de noviembre, las<strong> sanciones a Venezuela</strong>, como un embargo de armas y de material que pueda utilizarse para la &#8220;represión interna&#8221;, así como un marco legal para imponer <strong>medidas selectivas</strong> contra los responsables. &#8220;Además de los esfuerzos políticos y diplomáticos para apoyar una <strong>salida pacífica negociada a la crisis política</strong>, el Consejo ha decidido hoy por unanimidad adoptar medidas restrictivas, subrayando su preocupación por la situación en el país&#8221;, anunciaron los ministros de los Veintiocho en un comunicado.</p></content:encoded>

edited November 2017

Ah, I now understand what you want. The plugin clearly states that term filters work on the title, not the content. I can make this change for you but clearly searching multiple words on longer text would have some performance cost. So I'd probably make it an option.

Would that be OK?

• I see it easier, if the filter is applied to the title, the complement should import all the feed of that title, not only the description, but also all its content, and apologize for my bad English.

No problem, I understand and will support it in the next version.in the meantime I sent you a pm with a change you can make right now to have your request in the current version.

Hi @terabytefrelance - Just uploaded Version 2.2.1 of the plugin which includes the feature you asked - filtering feed item content based on either the title or the title and the body of the feed.

There are few additional features including performance improvement. See the Feed Discussions Plus link.

• Hi, is there a way this pluging can be on auto pilot? Like I could be asleep and this plugin just keeps posting as far as the site's feed keep updating.

Cause I have to manually refresh and post myself everytime. Thanks!

edited November 2017

@Ewap That's exactly how the plugin works. You do not have to manually refresh. The manual admin "Check Active Feeds Now" button is just an optional way to trigger an immediate import.

Automation is done through the other two options - either automatic import in the background when users display any specific discussion or through a cron job. Please see the readme in Version 2.2.1 of the plugin.

• websferewebsfere Los Angeles, CA New

I would like to know if this addon is compatible with version 2.5. Thank you.

I don't know yet. Seems like several plugins broke as a result of incompatibilities across Vanilla versions (which I find disturbing). I'm in the final stages of fixing the DiscussionNote plugin to support 2.5, a process which taught me about some of the issues.

It will take time to go over the 11 plugins I contributed and upgrade them to 2.5. I suspect the same is true for other plugin developers, all volunteers. My personal recommendation for people using plugins is to stay on 2.3 until the plugins they use are upgraded.

• websferewebsfere Los Angeles, CA New

I understand. Thank you for your contributions.

• I have defined my feed but nothing ever imports. I never see any new discussions posted. Also why is there a red slash through the feed name?

edited September 2018

I wish I could help but I have no clue about your Vanilla Version, the url of the feed you try to import, your global plugin settings, and the settings for the specific plugin. Perhaps you can attach screen shots of the plugin global settings as well as the specific feed settings.

Red slash over the feed icon on the plugin's admin screen indicates that the feed is set not to show the feed's icon in the front end (discussion list, discussion).

• For some reason I can't attach screenshots on this forum.

I am using Vanilla 2.3.1

The feed I am trying to use is a twitter account so I put in @vikefans

Here is a link to the feed settings:
    http://vikefans.com/MyMisc/settings.png

Here is a link to the Global Settings:
    http://vikefans.com/MyMisc/Global.png

Does that help?

• Oh here are the general settings. I did them as two different pics:

http://vikefans.com/MyMisc/General1.png

http://vikefans.com/MyMisc/General2.png