Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

No .htaccess file / 500 error

I'm trying to install vanilla in a directory.. domainname.com/vanilla and I'm getting a 500 Internal Server Error (with an additional 404 error).

I saw some posts about needing to edit the .htaccess, but it doesn't exist in the current 2.5 download. (my computer, FTP client, and cpanel File Manager are all set to show dotfile, and it's not showing in any of them)

Also, once I find a htaccess file to add, where do I put it and what do I need to edit to install the forum on a folder?

Thanks, Ian

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Hi, did you create a data base for vanilla ? or just uploaded the software and expected it to work ? This software requires a data base and it goes through a set up routine before you can use it. Please explain how you installed it or if you installed it after creating a data base.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@ianborders said:
    I'm trying to install vanilla in a directory.. domainname.com/vanilla and I'm getting a 500 Internal Server Error (with an additional 404 error).

I saw some posts about needing to edit the .htaccess, but it doesn't exist in the current 2.5 download. (my computer, FTP client, and cpanel File Manager are all set to show dotfile, and it's not showing in any of them)

Also, once I find a htaccess file to add, where do I put it and what do I need to edit to install the forum on a folder?

Thanks, Ian

You can find a called .htaccess.dist in the root folder of your installation. That must be renamed to .htaccess. The reason why you have to do so is that if it would be called directly .htaccess in the zip file, an existing .htaccess would be replaced by the default one. And that could be wrong, like in your case.
    You will have to change
    #RewriteBase / to
    RewriteBase /vanilla

You seem to be a native English speaker. Please consider contributing to Vanilla by adding a few sentences about that renaming part to the docs :wink:

• As @ianborders said, it seems there is not a .htaccess.dist file inclued in this 2.5 release (downloaded from Vanilla repository yesterday)
    Tried to use 2.5 RC1 file and then it's right ;) but download is unavailable

May be this one could be used
    https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/release/2.5/.htaccess.dist

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I've monkey-patched this into 2.5 so future folks won't run into the issue, and filed an issue that our build tool for releases is omitting that file for an unknown reason. Thank you for highlighting it.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Hi, did you create a data base for vanilla ? or just uploaded the software and expected it to work ? This software requires a data base and it goes through a set up routine before you can use it. Please explain how you installed it or if you installed it after creating a data base.

Yes, I know... but I can't run through the installation / setup because I can't get past the 500 error.

I've downloaded the > @Linc said:

I've monkey-patched this into 2.5 so future folks won't run into the issue, and filed an issue that our build tool for releases is omitting that file for an unknown reason. Thank you for highlighting it.

I downloaded the latest version and it now has the .htaccess.dist which I edited to point to the folder it's in and changed it to removed the .dist - but I'm still getting the 500 error

See here: http://cryptocommonsense.com/thecommons/

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You must delete the .ini files in the forum cache folder... see if that helps

• @vrijvlinder said:
    You must delete the .ini files in the forum cache folder... see if that helps

there aren't any .ini files on the cache folder

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

"More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

A 500 server error in most cases can only be solved when you look at your server logs.