Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product
Vanilla 2.6 is here! It includes security fixes and requires PHP 7.0. We have therefore ALSO released Vanilla 2.5.2 with security patches if you are still on PHP 5.6 to give you additional time to upgrade.

Category drop-down for new topics, gone?

I've upgraded from 2.3.1 to 2.5 and I've noticed something is missing. When I create a new topic, it used to allow me to choose which category that should be assigned to but now that doesn't show.

This is how it used to look: https://prnt.sc/ij8f4k

Comments

• R_JR_J Cheerleader & Troubleshooter Munich Moderator
    edited February 24

This is by intention: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues/4910

But getting it back is quite simple. You only need a plugin with that method:

public function postController_beforeFormInputs_handler($sender) {
            $sender->ShowCategorySelector = true;
        }

• Did you do this for yourself? If you are able to attach the plugin that would be awesome as I'm not very experienced with creating plugins.

Uploading plugins is currently not possible...

See here for a working implementation

• edited February 24

Awesome, thank you but I moved that folder into Plugins and it won't enable due to this error (debug mode):

"Call to a member function getInfo() on null" LOCATION: S:\htdocs\public_html\forum\applications\dashboard\controllers\class.settingscontroller.php
    > 1447: } catch (Exception $e) {
    > 1448: $this->Form->addError($e);
    > 1449: }
    > 1450: >>> 1451: $this->handleAddonToggle($pluginName, $addon->getInfo(), 'plugins', true, $filter, $action);
    > 1452: if (count($requirementsEnabled) > 0) {
    > 1453: foreach ($requirementsEnabled as $requiredAddon) {
    > 1454: /** @var $requiredAddon Addon */
    > 1455: $this->handleAddonToggle($requiredAddon->getKey(), $requiredAddon->getInfo(), 'plugins', true, $filter, $action); BACKTRACE:
    [S:\htdocs\public_html\forum\applications\dashboard\controllers\class.settingscontroller.php 1372] SettingsController->enablePlugin();
    [S:\htdocs\public_html\forum\library\core\class.dispatcher.php 832] SettingsController->plugins();
    [S:\htdocs\public_html\forum\library\core\class.dispatcher.php 261] Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatchController();
    [S:\htdocs\public_html\forum\index.php 29] Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatch();

Please make sure that the plugins folder is named "enforcecategorydropdown ". Delete the /cache/addon.php afterwards.
    But beyond that I wouldn't know why this might fail...

• That worked! Thank you so much for this.