Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Problem upgrading from 2.5 to 2.51

I have just taken the plunge to update our Charity's Forum to Vanilla 2.5.1

Everything went smoothly and I ran the "utility/update" routine from the browser twice and that reported success.

Deleted the files in /cache and deleted cache files in my Chrome browser.

The Forum seems to work ok but going into the Dashboard however, something is amiss.

There are three tabs at the top of the screen - Dashboard - Moderation and Settings.

By default the tab is focused on Settings, on a Categories page.

The User section had disappeared and the Plugin section and most of the others just land on the same Categories page.

The Moderation tab now has the User section which does work.

The Dashboard tab (Site Overview) reports - "Something has gone wrong"

I'm at a loss - any help appreciated.

Corin Mills - Tools for Self Reliance Cymru

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Updating to 2.5 includes deleting a file: https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/250819/#Comment_250819

If you still see the error, try the troublshooting tips: https://docs.vanillaforums.com/developer/troubleshooting/

• 2.5 has worked a treat since installing for the first time a few months ago. The problem is the upgrade to 2.5.1

Oh well, my bad. But you should nevertheless follow the troubleshoot link to find out what the reason for the "Something has gone wrong" message ist

• The first line in the Troubleshooting Help is:-
    Set $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; in your conf/config.php to reveal full error messages. Remember to remove it when you are done.
    There is no line like that in the config.php file.
    Should I insert the line and if so, where in the file?

Just add it to the end of the /conf/config.php

• Adding that line locked me out completely. Removing the line let me back in!

You made a copy and paste error. Add exactly $Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE; that to the config file. You might have forgotten the first or last character?

• CorinCorin New
    edited March 2018

Thank you -you are quite right - I had copied "set" in front of the line!
    There are two sets of errors. The first one is from hitting the "Dashboard" tab on the top menu.
    The second appears below the "Category" page on hitting most menus on the left hand sidebar.

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited March 2018

@Corin said:
    Thank you -you are quite right - I had copied "set" in front of the line!
    There are two sets of errors. The first one is from hitting the "Dashboard" tab on the top menu.

also make sure you have done this... verify again

delete the file in /applications/vanilla/controllers/class.settingscontroller.php

if you still get errors after the above.

do you still get the errors with vanillastats disabled and

delete the file /cache/addon.php

$Configuration['Debug'] = FALSE;

The second appears below the "Category" page on hitting most menus on the left hand sidebar.

all NOTICE errors should go away when it is FALSE

$Configuration['Debug'] = FALSE;

after you have done the above check if you still get errors with vanillastats enabled
    after you have done the above check if you still get errors with vanillastats disabled

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• CorinCorin New
    edited March 2018

I renamed the file - class.settingscontroller.php temporarily. The Forum continued to function but the Dashboard menu just returned - File not Found - So I've renamed it back to the original.
    I don't know how to disable/enable vanillastats.
    Deleting the file /cache/addon.php had no effect that I could see..

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited March 2018

@Corin said:
    I renamed the file - class.settingscontroller.php temporarily. The Forum continued to >function but the Dashboard menu just returned - File not Found - So I've renamed it back >to the original.

WHICH FOLDER???? not sure if you deleted the one that needs to be deleted.

PLEASE understand the difference between DELETE and rename! and PAY ATTENTION to folder location.

when someone says to delete a file it means delete (not rename). The reason for delete is rename is not going to help in this case. You need to understand this, otherwise you will not be able to be helped.

delete the file in /applications/vanilla/controllers/class.settingscontroller.php
    after you do that - Delete the file /cache/addon.php

do you understand the concept of locations and folders /applications/vanilla/controllers/
    vs. /applications/dashboard/controllers

if you have a file called /applications/vanilla/controllers/class.settingscontroller.php
    or a renamed file DELETE IT!!!!

WARNING do not confuse the folders and files.

DO NOT delete the files in /applications/dashboard/controllers folder.

then delete Delete the file /cache/addon.php

if you do not follow the simple instructions you may be having a difficult time for an extended period.

any plugin should be disabled by the dashboard. if for some reason you cannot disable a plugin via the dashboard you can edit the conf/config.php and change the particular reference to the plugin from TRUE to FALSE.

$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['VanillaStats'] = FALSE;

Pragmatism is all I have to offer. Avoiding the sidelines and providing centerline pro-tips.

• CorinCorin New
    edited March 2018

Thank you for your patience (and I'm well aware of folder/file structure).
    I had renamed the two files with an extension of .old as I have always followed the idea that the file then becomes invisible to the program that created it. Windows still uses that convention when upgrading an OS by renaming the original folder to Windows.old, so allowing a rollback in emergency.
    The good news is that I am almost back to a fully working Forum. The only items not working are the "Inbox" and the "Inbox Panel" Plugin that places a conversation (PM) inbox to the side panel.
    A "File Not Found" error occurs. Disabling the Plugin has no effect.

The message about updating 2.5 to 2.5.1 for reasons of security lauded a "drop in replacement"
    and I followed the instructions for updating to the letter. After the update failed (even with a "Success" message after running the utility/update routine) I read a lot on the Vanilla Forums and I found the instruction to delete those two files before updating but it appeared to apply only to those updating to 2.5
    Is there something missing then in the instructions that are included in the 2.5.1 Download?
    I have attached the readme.txt file for your information.
    Thank you once again for your help.

• Does anybody have any idea why the Inbox returns a "Page not Found" error?
    Debug trace attached.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

The debug trace isn't related; they are just Notices.

What is the PATH you're at when you get the 404?

My guess is you'll want to take this up with the addon author.

• forum/index.php?p=/messages/inbox

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited March 2018

it was unclear from your previous post. was your previous problem solved when you deleted the correct settings file.

and do you understand that NOTICES will go away when you turn debugging off via config.php

also if you are changing addons or files in addons and you have unusual issues, frequently deleting the cache files will help (if the cache files are not updated re: Delete the file /cache/addon.php).

@Corin said:
    forum/index.php?p=/messages/inbox

regarding other issues.

from the read me

If your forum still uses URLs including ?p=:

Support for this URL structure ended after 2.3 in favor of "pretty" URLs so it's time to make the switch. First, confirm your server is setup to handle rewrites. On Apache, using the .htaccess file provided will accomplish this. Additional setup is required on nginx and other platforms. Test whether it is working by visiting /discussions - if you see a discussions list (rather than a 404), it is likely setup correctly. Then, open conf/config.php and find the line with $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = false; and delete the entire line. Your site should immediately switch to "pretty" URL paths instead of using the 'p' parameter. If there

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla#upgrading

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/tree/Vanilla_2.5.1#upgrading

if you still don't understand - you can search for RewriteUrls and see all the trouble people have when it is not correctly set up.

you can also search for nginx if you use this

or you can search apache rewrites or htaccess if your web server uses .htaccess

• CorinCorin New
    edited April 2018

Yes, your previous help fixed the problems apart from the faulty Inbox.
    Debug trace - yes - I can switch this on/off - I only attached it because I assumed it had something to do with the Inbox problem.
    The line in config.php "$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = false;" was not present.
    The initial clean install was version 2.5 - the problems only appeared after upgrading to 2.5.1
    Changing addons pops up a message and clears the cache. I have also manually deleted addon.php to no effect.
    In any case I assume that the Inbox is part of the Core and not an addon.
    So I'm still none the wiser!
    Would it help if I gave you temporary access to our (private) Forum?

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited April 2018

@Corin said:
    Yes, your previous help fixed the problems apart from the faulty Inbox.
    Debug trace - yes - I can switch this on/off - I only attached it because I assumed it had something to do with the Inbox problem.
    The line in config.php "$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = false;" was not present.
    The initial clean install was version 2.5 - the problems only appeared after upgrading to 2.5.1
    Changing addons pops up a message and clears the cache. I have also manually deleted addon.php to no effect.
    In any case I assume that the Inbox is part of the Core and not an addon.
    So I'm still none the wiser!
    Would it help if I gave you temporary access to our (private) Forum?

could be you didn't install all the files properly. you could try reinstalling.

regarding conf/config-defaults.php and conf/config.php

either re-install conf/config-defaults.php from the vanilla 2.5.1
    https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/blob/Vanilla_2.5.1/conf/config-defaults.php

or add to the conf/config.php

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;

Warning: don't confuse the two files.

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/220157/#Comment_220157

if you still don't understand - you can search for RewriteUrls and see all the trouble people have when it is not correctly set up.

do all of your urls have the same pattern /index.php?p=/ with a p=

• Before I try anything else as above :
    "do all of your urls have the same pattern /index.php?p=/ with a p=>"
    Answer - yes !

• RiverRiver MVP
    edited April 2018

read this
    https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/220157/#Comment_220157

the documentation in the readme may not be correct or incomplete.

add to the conf/config.php

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;>

@River said:

it was unclear from your previous post. was your previous problem solved when you deleted the correct settings file.

and do you understand that NOTICES will go away when you turn debugging off via config.php

also if you are changing addons or files in addons and you have unusual issues, frequently deleting the cache files will help (if the cache files are not updated re: Delete the file /cache/addon.php).

@Corin said:
    forum/index.php?p=/messages/inbox

regarding other issues.

from the read me

If your forum still uses URLs including ?p=:

Support for this URL structure ended after 2.3 in favor of "pretty" URLs so it's time to make the switch. First, confirm your server is setup to handle rewrites. On Apache, using the .htaccess file provided will accomplish this. Additional setup is required on nginx and other platforms. Test whether it is working by visiting /discussions - if you see a discussions list (rather than a 404), it is likely setup correctly. Then, open conf/config.php and find the line with $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = false; and delete the entire line. Your site should immediately switch to "pretty" URL paths instead of using the 'p' parameter. If there

this may be incomplete or not working as expected, you may also need to add

add to the conf/config.php

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla#upgrading

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/tree/Vanilla_2.5.1#upgrading

the above searching to solve further can be done in the forum

also make sure you fulfill all requirements.

https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/tree/Vanilla_2.5.1#self-hosting-requirements