HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Cannot push to github

Hi Guys,

I'm just about to push my small feature to vanilla on github but I keep getting an authentication error saying "remote: Permission to vanilla/vanilla.git denied to". I'm using the latest Sourcetree and I have a github account for which the OAuth box shows a green flag.
Since this is my first time, I'd like to ask for some guidance if this is just some auth problem which I have to solve on my side or is happening because I haven't forked the repo but just cloned it. (Github help says: "If you don't have write access to the repository where you'd like to create a pull request, you must create a fork, or copy, of the repository first.")

Can you tell me if I have write access?

Thanks,
Csaba

Comments

• x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2018

you can't just push to the main project, that would create chaos only a limited amount of people the core team can do that. You need to fork the repository, then you create a pull request, then subject to approval it will be added to the appropriate branch.

grep is your friend.

• Of course, I was talking about a feature branch not the master to push to. Thanks for the help, now I've forked it and pushed my changes and the pull request is on the table.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2018

it doen't matter what branch, you don't have the control over the project.

It is OS meaning you can fork it and read the source, it is up to you to support the forks. It doen't mean you have control over the direction of the main project. It up to them to accept you change through a pull request. They may ask you for additional changes before they accept the PR request, they may decide it is not a good fit for the main project or they want some other solution or they need to wait.

grep is your friend.

• Ok, understood, but it's not explicitly stated anywhere that "you must fork it" so don't blame me that I asked if I have to or not.
    I work every day on projects for which I push new features / hotfixes into the repos in separate branches without the need of forking them and the owner of the repo decides if it can be merged back to master / main or not.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I've amended "Pull Requests & You" to be clearer and reviewed the pull request. Thanks!

• on github it is done through pr request. That is the system they use.

It is public repository, so it would be a mess if anyone had permission to push.

grep is your friend.

• I'm not "blaming" you, just informing you.

grep is your friend.