Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

WordPress plugin update for Vanilla 2.5

Hi,

I'm working on a project that wants to integrate WordPress with Vanilla. (I'm a webdev, by the way, I know what I'm doing, as I hope will become apparent).

The WordPress Vanilla Forums plugin hasn't been updated for 2 years and I'm wondering if it will continue to be worked on.

I (fortunately) have Vanilla 2.3 in production and Vanilla 2.5 in development. The plugin seems to work with 2.3 but not 2.5.

The first hurdle I've come across is that that output of /categories/all.json has changed in 2.5 and this is causing the Comment Integration screen in the plugin to fail to display categories. I'm sure this is just the beginning of the updates that need to happen though.

Can anyone confirm the status of the plugin to me?

Thanks

Ross

Comments

• Looks like this specific issue has a fix in the master branch of the plugin on GitHub: https://github.com/vanilla/wordpress-vanilla/issues/17

Still want to know what the status of the plugin is. Will these fixes ever make it into a new release?

• A few months back, we were told of renewed and consistent support for the open source community. So, I hope so. I suppose the WP plug-in, and other Add-Ons are accessories, but if open-source Vanilla is to remain a viable solution, these types of functionalities need to be kept up. I've bookmarked this thread so that I can stay in the loop.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited May 2018

@magicroundabout Yes, we'll get a new release going. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I've passed on my notes to the support team about how to update that plugin, and asked them to write internal docs on how to do this more consistently. I'm afraid that patch simply got lost in the shuffle because we didn't have an internal process setup to see it thru to completion and no one ever asked us about it again.

In the meantime, you can simply grab the updated code from our GitHub repo instead of the WordPress directory.

• Thanks. I know the WordPress use of SVN is a pain to deal with!

I was going to grab the master branch, but I wasn't sure if this was the only change required for compatibility with Vanilla 2.5. Is the plugin now fully compatible and tested with 2.5?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@magicroundabout said:
    I was going to grab the master branch, but I wasn't sure if this was the only change required for compatibility with Vanilla 2.5. Is the plugin now fully compatible and tested with 2.5?

Support is still evaluating that. I suggest giving it a shot and let us know if you find further issues (either here or by filing a GitHub issue).

• what is the link of github to download and tested the wp plugin with vanilla 2.5?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

It was updated in the directory on Friday.

• Awesome!