Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Prototyping custom themes for 2.5.x using XAMPP? [RESOLVED]

edited May 2018 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm assuming this is supposed to be possible?

I have a working install of 2.5.1 on my local machine thanks to XAMPP. However trying to copy the contents of the included bittersweet theme with the exception of 'addon.json', which I've written from scratch as following:

{
    "name": "Godot Developers",
    "key": "Godot", // Exactly the same as the resulting folder for the otherwise copied theme
    "hidden": false,
    "description": "The custom theme for Godot Developers community",
    "version": "1.0.0",
    "type": "theme",
    "priority": 1000,
    "authors": [
        {
            "name": "Felix Kütt",
            "email": "felix.virtest@gmail.com"
        }
    ]
}

Results in no visible new theme in the list. I have also tried to clear all relevant files in 'forum-root/cache/' and 'forum-root/cache/theme' but no cigar. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018

Yeah, that is just a comment added while posting here.

Also amongst the files I have cleared out of cache folders has been addon.php every time. So doubtful that is it.

• Options
    edited May 2018

Eh, never mind. Figured it out. The documentation states:

The name parameter is optional; it will default to the slug if omitted. To include special characters here or in the description, use their HTML entity code.

As a result I did initially try writing my last name in the authors as: Kütt but that seems to be just as broken as writing it as Kütt. Writing my last name formatted in Scandinavian form kytt fixed the issue.

I knew it had to be something simple.

• Options
    edited May 2018

I know this is solved and all but I hope nobody minds my curiosity getting ahead of me and asking another question in here.

Is the theme's custom.css overriding the values pulled from the dashboard's style.css(cause that is the only style.css I could find)?

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Hi

Yes, afaIk.

• Options

Thanks. At least I know what it is I'm overriding. O.o

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

These are the steps for styles.css ad custom.css that Vanilla takes:

Look for "applications\dashboard\design\style.css"
    Look for "themes\current theme\design\style.css" and if that is found, use this and forget the above
    Look for "themes\current theme\design\custom.css"

So you would be able to override all styles, but that is not recommended.

• Options
    edited May 2018

My current progress:

Had to make the ´.PhotoWrap´ ´display:none;´ on the ´.Top´ because it was breaking the top bar, been a long time since I've done this stuff and couldn't be bothered to deal with it now.

For reference I'm trying to make the forum consistent with:
    //godotengine.org/

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

I filed an issue regarding UTF8 in the addon.json file. https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues/7227