HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Blog or forum?

Hello,
I am really frustrated right now. I have an entertainment blog (www.clamorcity.com) but the blog is not lively and I get really lazy thinking about what to write every. I am a medical student and don't really have time for the blog. Can I create an entertainment forum?. I need a site where users can also contribute and help themselves. A site that can generate contents and be interactive even if I'm absent for some time. So, help Me...should I go for blog or forum?

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

If you want to share knowledge a blog is a good idea

If you want people to talk with each other and other people to create content, you should prefer a forum.

But a forum needs your attention, too. In the beginning it is unlikely that there will happen anything at all. You have to regularly create content, it would be even good if you could get others into the boat to help you with that. Maybe you have to fake users to make your forum look interesting (dirty work). Building a community is really hard.
    You can find some articles on that in the official Vanilla blog: https://blog.vanillaforums.com/

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

It isn't really clear why you want to start a forum at all. Are you thinking you will be able to generate income from it? That is much harder than you might think.

Forums are always all about content, and that is down to having a group of committed, enthusiastic users.

Given that there may well be a few entertainment forums already out there, what would make yours so special that people would join it and stay?

And frankly, if you aren't going to be on it, why would they need your forum anyway?

• Its not that I will absent from the forum. At least I can stay away for a day unlike blogs where I will need to post new topics 3 or 4 times a day all by myself. I really want one where users can also contribute and I will deal with moderation. Which generates more income, blog or forum?

• Is there a blog plugin I can add to vanilla forum so as to have a blog section where I can restrict only to myself while users make use of the forum section?

I'd assume that neither generate income.

Then, if one does, it's a bonus.

The first step is to work out how you will attract and keep members.

What can you offer that is not already out there?

The following addon may do what you are looking for in terms of adding a 'blog' type feature: https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/articles-application

• Thank you very much. Please, what version is this vanilla community using? I like the design and the notification bar showing below

The theme on here is proprietary.

The reactions addon is not publicly released, but the open source version has something similar in YAGA:

https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/yaga-application

**Note **it is an application and should be extracted to the applications folder, rather than the plugin folder.

• What about the notifications bar at the bottom of my screen? I need the plugin too

I don't know what you mean by notifications bar.

If you mean Awesome LOL etc, YAGA does that.

Otherwise, post a screenshot.

• I mean the dark bar showing icons for "inbox, notifications, bookmarks and write new post' at the bottom of my mobile screen

OK, well I don't use a mobile device, so I don't see what you see.

Personally, I use the Mobile Baseline for my site: https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/minusbaseline-theme

• OK. Thanks a lot man

• @chillex said:
    Hello,
    I am really frustrated right now. I have an entertainment blog (www.clamorcity.com) but the blog is not lively and I get really lazy thinking about what to write every. I am a medical student and don't really have time for the blog. Can I create an entertainment forum?. I need a site where users can also contribute and help themselves. A site that can generate contents and be interactive even if I'm absent for some time. So, help Me...should I go for blog or forum?

For how long do you have this blog? Does it generate income or did it? Do you have friends or someone who knows how to contribute blog?
    In my opinion, if you liked your blog and wish to carry on you should do it. I understood that there is not enough time that is why maybe someone can help you or you can change the format of your blog.
    Would you mind to give some more details about blog, please? =)

• which detail do you want to know about blog? ask me