HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

No tag for vanilla 2.6

Hello,

Recently moved a small community to vanilla 2.6, brand new to the project. However, I'm a seasoned developer.

I'd very much like to make fairly extensive modifications to Vanilla. I think the best way for me to make and track the changes would be simply to fork the repo myself, keep my changes there, and use the official repo as a secondary remote / merge or cherry-pick from there.

Only one problem. I've been using Vanilla for about 4 days, and already have a fairly large community moved over to a Vanilla 2.6 install, that was installed from the .zip ... There are tags for all other Vanilla releases, but not v2.6 ... I'd like to know, at least approx, which commit was used to build that .zip, if at all possible.

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

There is a release/2.6 branch.

I'm convinced Vanilla is the best forum script for a developer, but I would say that forking the repo and modifying the core files is misunderstanding the power of Vanilla.

Nearly all changes, even very heavy modifications, can be done by writing plugins or a custom theme with theme hooks. There are several reasons to go this route. If you are interested in a discussion on how to achieve this and that, just ask!

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I've added the missing tag. It's at 332c19d675171bc968f451d1b4b9fc7884366fe4.

If you fork Vanilla, I'd wager a dollar you'll regret it in a year or two.