Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Clean 2.6 Install > Dashboard URLs = Something Wrong

Trying without success to update my main live forum to 2.6
(Was initially displaying 500 errors so worth a shot. Files and DB backed up prior to update attempt)

Set up a dev forum subdirectory for a clean install.

• Renamed and edited htaccess to reflect correct subdirectory
  • Forum Installed. Taken to */forumnew/settings/gettingstarted - OK
  • */forumnew/dashboard/settings/home - "Something has gone wrong" error
  • */forumnew/dashboard/settings/branding - "Something has gone wrong" error
  • */forumnew/dashboard/message - Tested and working
  • Set debug to 'true' in config.php
  • Looked through the community posts, can't find anything similar

Still none the wiser.

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

What was the error report when you set debug to true?

• Where would I see the debug message?

Typically, when you set debug to true, you should see a detailed error report in place of the 'Something has gone wrong' message in your browser.

• Just checked the URL and it’s the same “Something is wrong” message.

edited June 2018

Then debug isn't set correctly, I would say, or you have a cache issue stopping you seeing the change.

• Ok as soon as I’m back on my computer (on my phone right now) I’ll clear the cache and update this post.

Thanks for the assist so far.

• Cleared the cache folder apart from the htaccess file - still showing the same error message.

Double checked debug is set to true: https://i.imgur.com/bMmha6P.png (assuming that's the correct setting

Just to confirm, you are editing config. php

• Correct. config.php

Sorry, I'm officially baffled, so it feels like time to mention @R_J

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Some things working and some other not could be a hint for not fulfilling the requirements. Could you please dive into the readme and make sure that your setup satisfies the requirements?

If yes, what platform and what versions of php and mysql are you using?

• Hi @R_J

Server OS: CentOS 7.5 KVM
    WHM: 70.0.51
    Apache: 2.4.33
    PHP: 7.0
    MySQL: 10.1.34-MariaDB

And do you have the php extension mbstring enabled?

For test environments, you can edit the /index.php and search for ini_set('display_errors', 0); and change it to ini_set('display_errors', 1);, but remeber to change it to zero again as soon as possible

• I checked EasyApache in my WHM and PDO and CURL were already installed for PHP7.0 and I just had my host support install mbstring.

I'm not testing this on a live forum right now as I'm aiming to migrate all the previous posts and users over via a MySQL import (hopefully)

I've changed "ini_set" and there are no errors showing.

And it's definitely the correct index.php I've edited.

The screenshot above shows that you have added 'Garden']['Debug'] = true; to the config-defaults.php.

1. Please make sure that you have $Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = true; as your last line in "/conf/config.php"
    2. Clear all files in the /cache folder
    3. Visit your forum with the privacy mode of your browser
  • If you are on cPanel, the default .htaccess file did not work for me at all. Can you post your .htaccess file between these characters:
    ~~~ <your .htaccess file> ~~~

• @R_J I had renamed config-defaults.php to config.php and manually entered the various DB connecting settings.

Cache folder = unable to completely clear the cache via FTP or CPanel File Manager as I cannot delete the 'Smarty' and 'theme' folders and some files within 'theme' due to permission being denied for some reason (screenshot attached)

@donovanb the .htaccess is the default one that comes with 2.6 apart from me changing the first line to # Modified and 'Rewritebase /forumnew'

I couldn't get the whole .htaccess file to display properly in the comment so I've added it here:

https://pastebin.com/xhMa9MvQ

The config.php will automatically be created during the installation process. The config-defaults file should never be touched nor copied.
    And the db information must be entered during the setup process which starts when you first visit the page. You only have to copy all files and rename the htaccess, keep the db information at hand and follow the (few) instructions during the web based installation process

• @camstudio cPanel adds it's own .htaccess file to get PHP7 to work (for it's multi-php feature)... did you delete that?
    If you open up shell and go to the directory of your forum and type:
    php -v
    You can be sure of what php version you are running in that directory. (without the .htaccess entry by WHM, your mult-php entry may be lying to you).

Anyway, here is my working .htaccess with WHM v68.0.36 and Vanilla 2.6.. note the cPanel PHP part.

Hope this helps:

# Modified
    # If you modify this file then change the above line to: # Modified

<IfModule mime_module>
      AddType application/x-httpd-ea-php70 .php .php7 .phtml
    </IfModule>

DirectoryIndex index.php

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
        RewriteEngine On
        # Certain hosts may require the following line.
        # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /.
        # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
        # RewriteBase /

DirectoryIndex disabled

RewriteRule (^|/)\.git - [L,R=403]
        RewriteRule ^cache/ - [L,R=403]
        RewriteRule ^cgi-bin/ - [L,R=403]
        RewriteRule ^uploads/import/ - [L,R=403]
        RewriteRule ^vendor/ - [L,R=403]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]
    </IfModule>

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
       <FilesMatch "(?<!embed)\.(css|js|woff|ttf|eot|svg|png|gif|jpeg|jpg|ico|swf)$">
          Header set Cache-Control "max-age=315360000"
          Header set Expires "31 December 2037 23:59:59 GMT"
       </FilesMatch>
    </IfModule>

• @donovanb @R_J

Apologies for the delay ...

Decided to wipe that installation and start again using the info from this thread.

• Confirmed PHP7 via SSH and PHPInfo (screenshots attached)
    • Installed a new v2.6 to a subdirectory (used donovanb's htaccess as I got a 404 for the dashboard/setup URL)
    • Edited the rewritebase line to the correct subdirectory (although seemed to work OK without it)!
    • Cleared cache (screenshot attached)
    • Set debug to true in config.php (screenshots attached)

Installed fine. Dashboard settings URL still broken - no error details shown in browser (same as before).

Now unable to completely clear cache via CPanel File Manager or FTP - I now get Permission Denied messages (attached)

Any thoughts?