Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Clean 2.6 Install > Dashboard URLs = Something Wrong

2»

Comments

• You may have correct some permissions on your file structure.

• I double checked the conf, cache and uploads folders and they're set to 777 (writable)

Logged in as root via Terminal and managed to delete the folders and all files in cache.

Logged back into the forum via incognito browser, same error with Dashboard Settings Home > no error output

• can you post the output of ls -la in your terminal when at the root of your forum?

• @camstudio

not sure which version you are trying to upgrade from, but I recently resolved a similar issue, almost identical.

1. export my old db using Navicat (skip since you already have your db)
    2. create a new mysql database on new server (skip)
    3. Import the db onto new server using navicat again (skip)
    4. created another mysql database
    5. upload 2.6 files, and copy .htaccess file from your OLD directory, into the new one (without doing this, on my server at least, i'd constantly get that error)
    6. visit the forum directory and install 2.6
    7. drop GDN_Permission and GDN_Role using phpmyadmin, from old db (not sure of the version you're upgrading from, so you can possibly skip 7 and 8)
    8. grab GDN_Permission and GDN_Role from the fresh 2.6 install, and import them into
      old db
    9. change config.php in 2.6 to point towards old db
    10. run /utility/update and /utility/structure
    11. completed.

Personally, I did not have to adjust any directory permissions, and they were all pre-set. After following these steps, I managed to get a fully functioning 2.6, upgraded from 2.0.18.1. Hope I can help (although i'm not expert like these other guys)

• @donovanb - here you go!

• @StaticCory - thanks for taking the time to post that. I'm doing this from a fresh install but if I can't get any further, I'll test your method and let you know =)

• donovanbdonovanb
    edited July 2018

Thx... sorry, one of things I was trying to determine by you posting that output was if you were using suPHP or suexec in your cPanel environment... which I could likely tell by if your user and group are of the same account. You have them blotched out.. so I'll assume you are.

Seems to me its something to do with your rewrite ability in certain situations.. which could be perms or config. Some questions:

• Once you delete the cache, do they cache files come back after plunking around on your forum?
    • Are the user:group the same throughout your directory tree?.. or do you have a different owner from group?
    • You could maybe try running this cPanel script as root, which auto-sets some perms per account:
      /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/enablefileprotect

Docs for above:
    https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/EA4/The+EasyApache+4+FileProtect+Option

(It appears that action of turning it off and on messes with the global perms.. so if you have other important accounts on your cpanel install, you may want to consult cPanel support directly)

For what it's worth, I use 755 / 644, suexec.

You are using a bit newer version of WHM than I.. so maybe the .htaccess file I posted is not perfect??

Without knowing details, that's all I can think of.

Donovan

• Try to recreate the problem and be aware of the time
    From your Cpanel or FTP client navigate to
    /home/yourusername/public_html
    There you will find a file called "error_log" without an extension
    Download the file and open it with your favorite text editor
    You should be able see the error message there at the exact timestamp
    From there you will see the exact reason what is missing and needs to be added.