HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to add custom tables/columns in database via code?

I want to add some custom columns to database tables. So, when I will install or setup my application anywhere my custom tables/columns will automatically insert/update into the database. I want to implement this via code. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

This is easy, but you have to stick to some conventions to take benefit from all automatisms.

If your plugin has a method called setup() it will be called automatically when the plugin is enabled. Therefore it is a good place to initiate the database change. But there is also another method with added functionality. If your plugin has a method called structure(), that method will be called everytime when the forum admin runs example.com/utility/structure, which might be needed if the databse got corrupted or during update processes.

Therefore you should use both methods like that:

public function setup() {
            $this->structure();
        }

public function structure() {
            Gdn::structure()
                ->table('Comment')
                ->column('NewColumn', 'int', 0)
                ->set();
        }

And in this example, you already see how to create a new row in table Comment. You can find more examples by looking at /applications/dashboard/settings/structrue.php and /applications/vanilla/settings/structrue.php
    An you should also take a look at /library/database/class.databasestructure.php and read the comments for e.g. its method column()