HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

VanillaAPP - A native App for Vanillaforums

2»

Comments

• Hey Phreak
    How is dev on an android mobile app coming?
    As you guys know most people view the internet from their phone at least in part if not completely these days.
    As such its imperative that we have mobile options. Android accounts for a HUGE portion of users worldwide.
    We need this.
    If it doesnt exist what will it take to get this accomplished?

Thanks!

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited August 2018

Hi @Brundel:

It's live! We have the Android version up and running on several forums. Two months intensive testing with 100+ users made us delay a bit on the official demo app. It should be accessible for everyone in the coming week.

I will post the links to both demo apps here coming week.

If you want to know more drop me an email from www.vanilla-app.com.

Best, phreak

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
    edited August 2018

Hi everyone,

We published the Android demo app for VanillaAPP in the Google Play Store.
    Both iOS and Android demo apps are connected to this Forum: Vanilla APP Forum.

VanillaAPP Android Demo
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yaafamily.vanillin_android

And the known VanillaAPP iOS Demo
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vanilla-app/id1239798623?mt=8

The next steps are a full integration of YAGA, as well as the development and integration of additional plugins for community managers. For example a full notification integration, user settings that allows users to leave a variable address to be found by other community members who are living nearby (while keeping privacy in mind) and more.

Test it, play around as much as you like. I'm also cleaning out any mess made in the demo forum. ;) So feel free.

I'd love to hear any feedback.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018

Congratulations on this achievement!

• This is absolutely amazing and could literally change everything.

But with a $400/month? price tag, you are missing out on a huge percentage of the market. You are literally preventing the revolution of forum software with this pricing model.

Please consider a PERCENTAGE pricing model so that every single vanilla forum in the world can afford this, and it has a chance of going hyper viral.

My forum makes $100/month, how am I going to pay $400 a month?

Please read the book "Explosive Growth" by Cliff Lerner, to figure out a better pricing model that has the ability to go viral and make you 1000X more.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@jackjitsu said:
    But with a $400/month? price tag, you are missing out on a huge percentage of the market. You are literally preventing the revolution of forum software with this pricing model.

B2B software doesn't "go viral".

Have you researched the size of the addressable market? I'm curious what math you're using to come up with 1000x revenue.

edited December 2018

Hi @jackjitsu,

Yes, I totally understand your opinion on the price tag. I once was a small forum owner (my first community was in the early netlabel scene around 18 years ago) and $400 dollar per app would have been far away from anything possible to me. Software was also way simpler back then and the community pardonned if a crucial function wouldn't work for some days or weeks.

Later I raised bigger and more professional communities with thousends of users (sure, on a broader topic) and real advertising money flowing in. Nowadays forum owners compete more or less with billion dollar software and social media giants. See it from this perspective: 400 Euros per app is the minimum price I could settle to maintain an almost flawless product to people who earn money with their forums. I want to provide them with a solution they can rely on and can free their head from technical hazzle and concentrate on community management, growth and revenue. So this price is the oil for running the engine frictionless as possible and not for my trip to Honolulu.

It‘s also not only me. It‘s 4 people who need to keep the engine in shape and keep on modernizing so those forum owners stay technically competitive.

Today we released the Android Update for Android 9 Pie. :)

edited July 2019

Hi everyone,

I thought I leave an update here for interested folks. Most contact me directly and it has become a little quiet here, so i actually tend to forget posting about the project here.

In the recent months we‘ve implemented several services that help Vanilla APP white labelists grow their community based on advertising and monetization.

Therefore, we integrated the Facebook App Ads SDK (run install campaigns), Facebook Audience Network (to display and get paid for advertising in the app) and Google AdMob monetization.

As Twitter Fabric was bought by Google and will be discontinued in the coming months we additionally integrated Google Firebase into Vanilla APP. It has a good analytics dashboard and offers lot of opportunities for community managers. Together with Yaga we could theoretically award badges for specific in app actions as well. What I like most is the Cloud messaging functionality that allows for custom app notifications and In-App messaging (see the screenshot). Very nice if you want to draw your audience to a specific action.

Besides, we integrated detailed notification and e-mail settings that sync with the connected Vanillaforum and an alternative discussions view that shows some the first text lines of the initial post of a discussion (while filtering out BBCode or HTML-tags).

Our next big step is a design overhaul. With the continuous development and the feedback in some communities we gathered UX and design improvements which are currently designed for implementations by me in Sketch (Bohemian Codings design software). The current designs works very well from a user stand point but a fresher look is underway.

So far for the little update. Let me know if you are interested in Apps for iOS and Android. :)

edited January 2022

@Bradsmith73: Yes, it’s for iOS and Android. It has this costs because it’s dedicated piece of software we keep up to date with app store standards.

If you run customer acquisitions campaigns through Ads on Google or Facebook, it’s a fantastic tool and people are made to stick. That way CA is super cheap.