Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

cPanel v74.0.9 upgrade breaks discussions 'something went wrong'

Hello, just a note for anyone using 2.6.3 and doing the latest upgrade to cPanel.

This cPanel upgrade updates the /etc/my.cnf and breaks your forum.

Changes required in /etc/my.cnf are:

#sql_mode=ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION
sql_mode=ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

Sincerely,
Donovan

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

Did a little digging on this and our ops team chimed in with some more info.

It looks like ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY is on by default in MySQL as of 5.7.5.

This setting is actually a sub-piece of STRICT_MODE:

sql_mode = "ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY,STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION"

We've had all our developers working with strict mode enabled by default for a little while now, so the next version of Vanilla should put an end to this sort of sql mode nonsense tripping us up.

• topcheesetopcheese DevOps Montreal Moderator
    edited October 2018

I'm curious @donovanb, could you tell me what you mean by "breaks discussions". What exactly triggers the something went wrong, browsing to one discussion? browsing to recent discussions? Any info would be great, thanks!

• @link , great!

@topcheese , yes, I'm not sure I'm using the right terms, but the "top-level" categories were fine.. drilling into the discussion thread presented that infamous 'something went wrong' error. The above change fixed it.

• Oh, I should add for cPanel, restart MySQL after the change. You can do this in WHM or via:

/scripts/restartsrv mysql