Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Beginner help: how to fresh install 2.6.4

Hi, I apologize I am sure this is really simple for most of you but I really have no clue how to install this onto my site.

I use Bluehost > cPanel > File Manager > go to public_html > Create a new folder title "Forum" > then Upload vanilla-core-2-6-4.zip > then extract.
But now what... was that even correct? All the readme files said was upload to your sever:

"Vanilla is built to be simple, and its installation is no exception.
1. Upload Vanilla's pre-built version to your server."

I don't know how or where to access to the forum though.

Help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Leehua

Welcome to the community.

You need to have a database for Vanilla to write to.

Typically, you can create this using phpMyAdmin.

Then, to install, you would visit:

www.yoursite.com/forum (assuming forum is the name of the folder you used)

and Vanilla should launch its installation process.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You have bought some web space and someone told you how to access it. It might be that you bought a domain like "example.com" or you received only a cryptic sub domain of your provider like "abc123456789.yourwebhoster.com" or you might only have received an IP address, so that you can reach your web space with "1.2.3.4"

When you enter whatever you have been told is the way to reach your web host, your web server shows what is in a folder of your web space and mostly that folder is called public_html.

Let's assume you reach your web space with your own domain like "example.com". You have created a subfolder called "Forum" (you should rename it to "forum") then you will be able to see the Vanilla installer when you look at "example.com/forum"

• Options

Awesome got it thanks guys!

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

Great explanations, @whu606 and @R_J. I adapted your tips into a new section for the README, Self-Hosting Basics.