My experience upgrade from 2.3.1->2.6.4
Today I spend trying to upgrade 2.3.1 forum to 2.6.4.
This was a total failure, I just restored my files and database back and now I'll wait and see if I can get any support to attempt again.
1. Backup of all files and database.
2. Upgraded to 2.5.6 version. Right away got error 500, but after changing index.php permission from 666 to 644 upgrade worked.
3. Change site PHP version from 5.6 to 7.0
4. Upgraded to 3.4.1 version.
5. No problems accessing website from front end when logged in as admin, but dashboards were totally messed up - for example layout/branding did not show any info.
6. Deleted all files, copied new files for 2.6.4 version, edit config.php file to add my database connection and then I went through setup steps.
7. When logged in it all appeared to work OK - I was able to access dashboards and front end. But encountered 2 issues: 1 - user had to be logged in to see any posts (empty forum for anonymous users); 2- New users were not able to register - during registration error: "The default role has not been configured."
I tried to changing all settings, made sure that "Enable Private Communities" is OFF, but nothing helped.
So I am absolutely stuck, spend all day on this and it was totally wasted.
I would appreciate any help with:
- How can I make anonymous user to see existing posts. I already made sure that "Enable Private Communities" is OFF
- How can I get rid of this error during registration - The default role has not been configured