Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

YAGA in 2.8?

QuethQueth New
edited March 2019 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm feeling a bit spammy with all these questions, please let me know if I am...

I hope this is the right place to discuss YAGA

Trying to install YAGA. Well, installed it. It installs fine but when I want to add a new award (I want to have custom awards that are manually given out), it is not possible. when I add the rule from the drop down, it doesn't update the fields with the selected option.

see below, it stays at the first option, which is Q&A. So I have no way to add the manual award.

If I try to add it anyway, it will give an error. (duh).

any YAGA experts who know how this can be fixed?

my eternal thanks for who can help out!

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

This is a working fork:

The original author has not updated it.

• 😳 this one works! I thought I had downloaded the newest/fork version. Apparently not!

many thanks! :D

• ok scratch that (i can't edit my post anymore so new post)

While I was able to set a new award, YAGA causes a problem viewing posts. In short, I can't view posts. disabling YAGA and it's possible again.

so I guess its waiting until someone updates the application?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Someone had an issue like this because of Ranks - its a feature, not a bug.

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/255790#Comment_255790

• ahhh I love those kind of features... who would have guessed?

well disabled ranks for now, and everything is fine :) Thank you!

on a related note, would you or anyone else versed in YAGA know where/how you can actually assign an award that needs to be assigned manually? I tried at the user, but I see no option there. Anywere else?

• edit.... (why can't I edit my post, you are so strict ;)....

anyhow I found it, for anyone in the future wondering the same, you do it in the user profile in the forum, not through the dashboard. :)

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

@linc - there's plenty on this plugin which is an attempt to duplicate what's on the cloud version. Is there a reason why the cloud version won't become os? And while on that subject, what about groups? I can't see the business case for keeping it closed source - nobody would decide to go on the paid plan just because of these (there are good reasons to go cloud, but not these).

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

What @R_J referenced was pertinent.

We consider whether an addon will be open source when we create it. There are generally 2 reasons we might keep an addon internal, rather than open source.

Iteration / Non-final API

The first reason we may not open source an addon is that it is a stop-gap solution to meet the needs of 1 or a few clients and don't have the time initially to settle on a API we want to keep long term. If in an internal addon like this is changed, we can apply the change across all of our repositories. This allows us to skip lengthy deprecation periods and backwards compatibility.

Business Reasons

In a perfect world there would be a perfect meeting point between where a small site that can't afford Vanilla Cloud could use all of these advanced features, and the large sites from big companies that could afford would gravitate to our our hosted plans.

In practice we have clients many times our size using vanilla cloud, some to whom the barrier to hosting themselves is quite low (full time dev-ops staff that could be pulled aside temporarily to configure the server every once in a while), but don't do see because of the massive value add our cloud only plugins are.

If the only difference between cloud and OSS was a support contract we would not be able to focus much effort on product R&D (See Rich Editor/Keystone). Hosting Vanilla for a single site is not that hard. Building a robust suite of tools to moderate, gather metrics, and demonstrate the value of a forum from an internal stakeholder to their business is.

• rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

OK, I get it. Could you at least highlight for the OOS community where these two "features" (Yaga-like and Groups) fall within these two considerations so we a least assess whether they will become OS or not?

I debated wheher to ask (re:patience) but was thinking that in this case it's better to ask than let this necropost;-)

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

I don't really have the final say on these things, but a big contributing factor being whether you will want to build other addons on top of something for us to put it in core and open source it. This is why Keystone & Rich Editor are open source. With that in mind my gut tells me we won't be doing open sourcing either of them in the foreseeable future. One of them could potentially be open sourced if we had some larger feature to build on top of one of them, but currently I don't see anything in our internal roadmap related to either plugin.

Thanks, it is good to know where we stand. I guess that is the reasons Yaga was developed in the first place, and hopefully someone will do the same for grouping functionality.

• Hi, the fork not work for me, I'm testing it in a clean installation of the vanilla 2.8.1 on my local server with PHP 7.1. This is the error message that appears in the error_log file:

I would appreciate any help to solve this. Thanks

• pioc34pioc34 Pézenas ✭✭

@JoZ3_69 i fixed the parse error on github

• @pioc34 checking the class.reactionmodel.php file I see that these lines (128-132) are wrong, delete them and it works well.

=======
      public function GetUserCount($UserID, $ActionID) {
       return $this->SQL->GetCount('Reaction',['ActionID'=> $ActionID,'ParentAuthorID'=> $UserID]);
     }
     >>>>>>> 2c4b8c8f2dab404c22ffdad12991ee591a638b93

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited March 2019

I would expect Reactions to become open source when it gets refactored into core. I cannot offer even a guess on timeline, but we recently started laying (public, core) groundwork for this as part of another feature/product we're building for cloud. The rationale is that it's become foundational to the addon system and is itself now a tablestakes feature (that Vanilla invented, I'll add for the record). We haven't open sourced the current implementation primarily because of performance and backwards-compatibility concerns. (Before you begin arguing with this, please consider I am merely relaying the decision as best I can, not the decision-maker.)

I would not expect Badges or Groups to become open source.

• pioc34pioc34 Pézenas ✭✭
    edited March 2019

@JoZ3_69 thank you i delete this rotten code. I don't know what make this happen...

@Linc Thank you for reaction becoming open source. What about ranks? Woud you expect Ranks become open source?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

I think it's likely that Ranks becomes open source as part of core in the future.

• edited March 2019

Same strange error too here. I got the files from your github repo.

I needed to change

<<<<<<< HEAD
        return $this->SQL->GetCount('Reaction',['ActionID'=> $ActionID,'ParentAuthorID'=> $UserID]);
                /*->Select()
                ->From('Reaction')
                ->Where('ActionID', $ActionID)
                ->Where('ParentAuthorID', $UserID)
                ->GetCount();*/

}
    =======
     }
    >>>>>>> 2c4b8c8f2dab404c22ffdad12991ee591a638b93

to this below, to get it to work

}