Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Rich Editor does not work on fresh Vanilla 2.8 install

2»

Comments

• Thanks @R_J I tried inserting the content of htaccess.dist into the existing .htaccess file - didn't work. I also tried deleting the existing .htaccess file and renaming the htaccess.dist to .htaccess That didn't work either (I cleared my browser history after each change). I will try charrondev's suggestions re Apache set up.

• I have been unable to get the Advanced Editor to work at all in 2.8. The Rich Editor works for text but I get a 403 error when trying to attach a file or photo.

Does this suggest server configuration issues as others have mentioned in this thread?

My site is on Serverpilot in which " Nginx as a reverse proxy in front of Apache" - I was running 2.6 just fine. I'm using the .htaccess file unmodifed but have not changed any nginx config.

Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks.

• This is what worked for me with Apache configuration. I added the following to the .htaccess file (replacing what was there):

1. <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    2. RewriteEngine On
    3. # Certain hosts may require the following line.
    4. # If vanilla is in a subfolder then you need to specify it after the /.
    5. # (ex. You put Vanilla in /forum so change the next line to: RewriteBase /forum)
    6. RewriteBase /forum
    7. RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    8. RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    9. RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php\?p=$1 [QSA,L]
    10. </IfModule>

Then I added $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = true; to my /conf/config.php 

• Thank you for your feedback @tcwebber but it turns out that in my forum's case it was database corruption. Yet another reminder for me to stay away from phpmyadmin and stick with ssh

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

@plymplan If you're on a Mac, SequelPro is pretty much unrivaled for this type of thing. I use it for connecting to everything.

• kejonnkejonn New
    edited March 2019

Scratch my prior post (which is not showing up because it says it needed to be approved but this one is showing up?)! @tcwebber's post was indeed the key, I did not realize I needed to replace everything in .htaccess with that, though it was indeed presented that way. I searched "mod_rewrite" and found a post at https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/255735#Comment_255735 by@R_J that confirmed it. Now everything appears to work properly.

• I'm having similar issues, shared hosting running Apache. Have tried all of the above suggestions but no luck. When I do not include the line $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = true; in config.php, I cannot use the Rich Editor. When I do include it, my site alway directs back to the main page even if it indicates it has gone to another page in the address bar. When I click on "New Disussion" it always just goes to the same main page (http://www.mysite.org/forum/post/discussion and I cannot input anything at all.

I first tried the site on a sub domain because that is where I wanted it (forum.mysite.org). I then tried a subfolder under the root www but it did the exact thing. Mod_rewrite is enable according to the host documentation.

When I tried the modifications shared by tcwebber, it was worse in that I got "Page Not Found".

Any more ideas?

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
  • Hi, for me the issue got resolved when i switched to php version 7.3 from 7.2.19

Apache Version 2.4.39

PHP Version 7.3 

MySQL Version 5.7.27

Vanilla forum version 3.1