Users running a non-download version of Vanilla (pulled from github), on branch release/2019.016 or master from the last 2 weeks should upgrade to release/2019.017 or latest master for security reasons. Downloaded official open sources releases are not affected.

A little re-arrangement

charrondevcharrondev Application Developer (PHP, JS)Montreal Vanilla Staff
edited July 17 in General Banter

I've re-arranged the community a little bit. If you guys have any feedback I'm open to tweak things further. Here's what I've done.

• Switched category layout to "Modern".
  • Made category layout the homepage view.
  • Added heading categories.

Let me know what you think

Comments

• R_JR_J Cheerleader & Troubleshooter Munich Moderator

I always found recent discussions to be the best approach to a forum you know and the categories to a forum you do not know. Therefore I'd prefer to see /discussions as homepage here 😉

whu606Lorenzo_Prn
  • charrondevcharrondev Application Developer (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff
    edited June 11

Yeah, I can definitely see the reasoning there. I'm quite familiar with the community and think the /discussions page is the best place for me as well.

I was trying to consider the community from the perspective of new people/guests though. Guests tend to outnumber signed in users here by ~10/1 in the analytics. I was thinking it might be easier to get into the forum with it flipped the other way.

R_J
  • whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... Moderator

From a moderation pov discussions is far preferable as a default, since I go through new discussions/comments, so if it were possible to set personal preferences, that would be handy.

Sounds like a good idea! I'll see if I can get that running, and if not, I'll make a new version for selecting it. It probably wouldn't be more than 20-30 lines of code.

R_Jwhu606Shadowdare
  • @charrondev could changing style be a thing aswell? Keystone have dark variations and there are add-ons for user selected styles - so alot of what is required is available at hand already.

wink wink blink blink pretty pretty please 😇🤗🤩

Reading in the evening on the current white style is a PITE (E = eyes)

That sounds like to would be a good addition! I probably won’t have time for a few weeks, but once the addon is merged to our addons repo I think it would be good idea, especially if anyone from here wants to help me out with maintaining it.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@charrondev: I do not prefer the category view. Actually it was the discussions view upfront that raised my interest when I first saw Vanilla (more than 10 years ago). I think that‘s one of Vanilla‘s absolute USPs ever since that shouldn‘t be hidden. Especially community builders creating a new community know how important it is to signalise activity to get new users.

Interestingly the changes you said are not in effect on my computers - logged in or not. 🧐 Maybe I am missing something. :)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

I've actually rolled back the change until my user select plugin has been deployed and rolled out. I'll probably make a couple other changes too (like a dismissable prompt when the user is on the other possible homepage).

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

I see, thank you.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla