HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Post count not visible for just one category

dnigrindnigrin
edited September 2019 in General Banter

I'm on Vanilla 3.2 and everything is working great, except one category is not showing its post count. See images below, for category "Fauxmo":

As you can see, the first 2 images show no posts in the Category, but in the last you can see that there are in fact two there. I checked my permissions for both that category, as well as the parent category, and they are identical (both have custom permissions). Additionally, the Fauxmo category has the same custom permissions as all the other categories under the parent "Defective Records Software" category.

Any idea why this is happening? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Bumping in the hope that someone out there has ideas on this one? I'm lost as to what could be going on...

Thanks.

• charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

Did you move a bunch of items into that category recently using some plugin/tool? If you did, visit /dba/counts on your site and recalculate the counts.

• Thank you!! I didn't move a bunch of items into the category, but it WAS empty for a while, and only recently started to have conversations started there. I went to that page, executed Recalculate Category.CountDiscussions and Recalculate Category.CountAllDiscussions, and the problem is fixed!!

Greatly appreciate the help!!

• Ugh, I spoke too soon. Although the step above worked to set the count correctly with the Discussions already in the Category, the creation of new Discussion in it has not resulted in the increase of the count again. Ideas where to go now?

• I also went in and tried ticking off all of the options on that /dba/counts page, but that too did not fix this latest problem. The count is displayed accurately for existing discussions, but creation of a new discussion does not subsequently increment the count....

• I tried looking through the database tables to see if I could see any obvious problems there, and could not.

Of note and in case it's relevant - this Vanilla instance was migrated a while back from Windows to Linux - see this thread https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/37303/migrate-from-v2-2-windows-to-v2-8-3-linux . Could something have gotten garbled in the migration along the way? Everything else is working perfectly....

Thanks again for any help/ideas people can provide.

• Actually, the plot thickens - everything else is NOT working perfectly. I guess I just never noticed before, but the post count for all Categories on my site are not updating when a new Discussion is created. So the problem is not just limited to that one Category.... Hmm.....

• I also have the same problem, there is plenty of discussions in categories but the count still shows as 0...

Any fix for this?

• See this thread for what fixed it for me: https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/258443