HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to sort discussions based on the discussion table column

Hi

I want to sort the discussions based on table column Score, my discussion table has Score entries

when I check this url somesite/discussions?sort=score nothing has changed. Any Ideas why this is not working?

In my plugin I have this code

public function discussionModel_beforeGet_handler($sender,$args){

$sender->addSort(
       'score',
       'Score',
       [
           'Score'=>'desc',
       ]);

$sender->setSort('score');
}

Comments

• Read this entire thread. Some very very very goods inside

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/32730/any-example-of-using-the-new-sort-filter-module

If you get stuck, do a $_GET (the vanilla f. way), match the key "score" and run this code

Gdn::sql()->orderBy('score', 'desc'); //make the desc a variable if you want

• Thanks for pointing me into the right direction. I also use the DiscussionsController_BeforeBuildPager_handler in my plugin to add the query string in the pager

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@donshakespeare good to have you here 😀

@rloyola sort by Score, desc is a a built in sort. You can find this in the DiscussionModel:

protected static $allowedSorts = [
           'hot' => ['key' => 'hot', 'name' => 'Hot', 'orderBy' => ['DateLastComment' => 'desc']],
           'top' => ['key' => 'top', 'name' => 'Top', 'orderBy' => ['Score' => 'desc', 'DateInserted' => 'desc']],
           'new' => ['key' => 'new', 'name' => 'New', 'orderBy' => ['DateInserted' => 'desc']]
       ];

Try /discussions?sort=top

• @rloyola did you ever find a solution?

I'd like to use the native addSort since my suggested answer fails woefully when across pagination.

Anybody have any thoughts on the correct way, the right function/event to fire this addSort thing?

Cheers!

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Try that one:

public function discussionsController_afterPageCalculation_handler($sender) {
           DiscussionModel::addSort('comments', 'CountComments', ['CountComments' => 'desc']);
       }

• rloyolarloyola New
    edited February 2020

@donshakespeare

I get the query string from the url and use it with  Gdn::sql()->orderBy in discussionModel_beforeGet_handler and discussionModel_BeforeGetCount_handler

$sortValue = Gdn::request()->get('sort');

if($sortValue == 'some_sort_value'){

Gdn::sql()->orderBy('some_discussion_column', 'desc');

}

Then I update the pager query parameters using DiscussionsController_BeforeBuildPager_handler

$defaultParams = Gdn::request()->get();

$Page = GetValue(0, $args, 'p1');

$sender->setData('_PagerUrl', 'discussions/{Page}'.'?'.http_build_query($defaultParams));

• edited February 2020

Let's just say I was over thinking the issue. I dislike when that happens; it can take me up to 5hrs to realize the room is dark because of my expensive sunglasses.

For the record, @R_J that is exactly where to use addSort - works a charm!

@rloyola thanks for knocking off my sunglasses and grounding me. I shall be using JS to fine-tune that part