HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Announce all discussions

I have a very lightly used forum install and any posts are generally important information for all users.

I need to set up Vanilla so that every post is announced to everyone. In the same way that an admin user can tick 'announce' I would like any user starting a new discussion to have their post announced.

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible out of the box so I'm looking for someone that would be able to write me a plugin.

Comments

• Having everybody announce their discussions is exactly the same as having no one announce their discussions. Isn't it?

• manticore789manticore789 Down Under New

That's what I thought.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

You miss the lordly feeling of doing something important...

• You are only privileged if you are doing something that others can't though, in this scenario everyone has no choice but to announce. no privilege there.

• Nope! Privileged means you have some quality that only you cannot see, therefore you will argue with anyone that points it out.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited March 2020

@samdb Have you simply thought of doing that by just labeling each discussion with a CSS content box for example?

li.Discussion.Item .title a::before {content: ”Announcement“; ... }

Please look up the correct CSS class.

That wouldn‘t an additional plugin.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

@samdb sorry for being silly. All users must have the permission to create announcements. That must be set in "Roles & Permissions" in the dashboard. After that, edit your database. That's an advice I almost never give, because you will have to re-do that change each time you make an update. it could be wrapped in a plugin and if your eager to do it, I would assist, but I don't think it is needed for a really small forum.

If a discussion is an announcement or not is determined by a field in the database. Look at the field "Announce" of the table "GDN_Discussion". It's default value is 0 = not announced. If you make the default value 2 it will be announced in the category. If you make it 1 it will be announced in category and recent discussions

@phreak thanks for reminding that this is still an unanswered question...

By the way: I recently had a very strange dream about you and @Bleistivt coming on a surprise visit to me but we three were only sitting next to each other on a toilet and were speaking about the lack of toilet paper...

• It's not about having permission to create announcements. I think perhaps I have worded this incorrectly.

As a user I can choose to edit my notification preferences and receive notifications for new discussions and comments in any of the categories I have access to. I would like all of these to be ticked by default.

At the moment all I can think of is having some script that runs on a cron and updates everyone's notification settings but then it would overwrite settings for anyone who has gone in and unchecked it.

You can set default notification preferences in the /conf/config.php by adding them like that (1 = enabled; 0 = disabled)

$Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['ConversationMessage'] = 1;
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['ConversationMessage'] = 1;

The names of them can be looked up in the Preferences column of the GDN_User table.

But as you have assumed: if a user already has chosen his own preferences, the default permissions will certainly not be applied.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@samdb It sounds like you're granting all users the Advanced Notifications permission. Be aware if you grant that to over 100 users your database is gonna have a real bad day. If you start getting 502 errors when trying to start a discussion, remember this warning.

• Thanks for the help, you've definitely sent me in the right direction now. This is going to be very low traffic with maybe 20 to 30 users so hopefully I can avoid the 502 errors.

I can see the additional options appear now when I enable advanced notifications but editing a user's settings to enable one or more advanced notifications makes no changes to the preferences.

This thread, though quite old, suggests the extra data is in the user meta table and I can see it there so the final hurdle is getting it to be set to true by default.

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/20624/advance-notifications-config-lines

• Hi to all.. if i follow this settings this is will be the default preference for all users?

Only for all new users and users who never changed/saved their preferences before.

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited May 2020

@R_J: Does this in any way psychologically correlate to the social distancing here? We should pick up this call thingy again, in a not so distant future. On toilets preferably. @Bleistivt?

Sorry for hijacking your thread @samdb.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla