Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Advanced Notifications on Sub Categories?

Is there any intention to allow notifications for sub categories? Currently it appears that you can only get notifications at the top level category.

Our forum structure is such that we have about 250 categories with 200+ of those being sub categories of a category. Notifications by category are fine for the top level category but to receive notifications for the sub categories, I must turn on notifications at the parent category which then includes all 200+ sub categories.

Alternatively, is it possible to receive notifications on via tags? Haven't looked into this other than on this site as we currently don't have tags turned on.

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Advanced Notifications are not scalable and should be used sparingly.

This is why it requires an explicit permission to allow.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

So what are the options to be notified of new posts? Is it only advanced category notifications or am I missing something?

We currently work around this problem by having a monolithic thread in the category that members can subscribe to in which we post links to new discussion topics. It works but adds extra work -- we have to create the new discussion and then post link to monolithic thread so subscribers get notified.

Is there an alternative?

• Options

It's 2020 now and this is as much of a problem as it was in 2015.

With the message queueing in place and other features coming online, would it be crazy to ask for the edit notifications screen to just show all the categories that I have permission to view?