HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Without Words... 😞

R_JR_J Ex-FanboyMunich Admin

Comments

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited October 2020

I am not exactly sure what you mean but yes, neither the account deletion nor my attention seeking screams (out of love of course), deserve to be ranked “Best of...”.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited November 2020

I have no idea how the account deletion request got promoted, but @R_J promoted "Everything is wrong with this theme" onto that list. 🤷‍♂️

edited November 2020

Does it make sense to point to R_J while it’s clear that the software Itself is written unsmart and deployed like that for years.

A simple promotion combined with a recent discussion mechanic is not enough to rank Best of’s in a community forum. The flaw is not on the user level here.

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin

Does it make sense to point to R_J while it’s clear that the software Itself is written unsmart and deployed like that for years.

That's like saying it's the software's fault if I deleted your comment. OK, sure.

edited November 2020

No it isn’t. Linc, we both know, that if you or another dev would be paid for a week or two to improve the results mechanic of “Best of”, it would work better.

This is the official OS forum based on the official Vanilla software. That’s one of Vanilla’s faces to the world. This is not some late 90s board that got migrated three times, sits on a software that hasn’t seen updates for 6 years, and is falling apart on all edges.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

This is no fingerpointing discussion. Yes, I've promoted that discussion and I would do it again. I would answer a question on why I have promoted it, but that fit better in that other discussion.

I do not blame the "Best of" algorithm: the deletion requested is the last accepted answer and I assume the other discussion had most reactions in it. There is no nifty AI behind that which could check content quality, only a number cruncher, which is perfectly okay. The only way to improve a "Best of" page in a forum without much activity is to remove it.

But that really hasn't been my point. To be true: there is no real point in my post, otherwise I would have tried to make it somewhat clear. I noticed what is currently ranked as best content and it made me feel sad. That's it.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited November 2020

Linc, we both know, that if you or another dev would be paid for a week or two to improve the results mechanic of “Best of”, it would work better.

I'd budget that much time just to define the scope of work for what "work better" means and estimate the required tasks.

Please stop throwing live grenades and then wondering aloud why the discourse here isn't better.

edited November 2020

@Linc: Well, II propose my one or two week approach is at least lean and would bring up improved results. But Vanilla is doing nothing on this for years, not even a lean approach.

Grenades?! Öhm, I shall not discuss software development and community culture here anymore? 🤔