Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How can troubleshoot EMailSubscribe plugin

I installed EMailSubscribe but it looks like it doesn't send any emails. Are there any screens that I can see if it is installed correctly? like plugin configuration or subscription options when you make a new post?
I have vanilla installed on a shared hosting, so I don't have access to var folders to check the logs.
And I use default smpt settings, but I know it sends an email when I sign up at the forum.

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

There's really not much you can do. The plugin uses the mailing method that is configured in Vanilla, so if sending mails generally works, it should work for that plugin, too. That is the sending code:

try {
        $Email->Send();
    } catch (Exception $ex) {
        echo $ex;
        die();
        // Don't do anything with the exception.
    }

Based on that I would expect that if sending the mail fails, you would get an error message.

If you are able to set up your own SMTP server and use that, so that you are able to take a look at the log files, you might be able to find out more.

In order to fight spam, many mails that are being sent from shared hosting services via PHPs mail function are considered as spam. That might be another reason...

• ereussereuss New
    edited December 2020

I just installed this on Vanilla 3.3, and at first the plugin just... didn't show up. I did 3 things, and this resolved:

1. In the Plugins/EMailSubscribe directory, changed the filename of default.php to class.emailsubscribe.plugin.php
    2. Edited that file and changed class EMailSubscribe to class EMailSubscribePlugin
    3. In Admin Settings, went to Addons > Plugins, and when prompted refreshed the add-on cache.

It might be that all I needed to do was #3! But it might also be that the naming scheme for plugins changed from Vanilla 2.X to 3.X or something. I'm short on time so I'm not trying to repro exactly.

Once the plugin was enabled, when I went to Edit Profile, I saw a new right-nav item: E-mail Subscriptions. Clicking it brought me to <my forum URL>/profile/subscriptions, which gave me checkboxes for each Category.

Testing seems to indicate it works - when I select Categories, I'm getting notification emails for new topics, and when I don't, I don't. The only weirdness is that in the notification email the topic name is wrapped in a bit of code.