HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2021.003 RC2 is now available

initvectorinitvector Vanilla Staff

Today, on the 16th anniversary of this community, we're introducing Vanilla 2021.003 RC2, which is the sequel to Vanilla 4.0 RC1.

This version number is sure to confuse some folks, so let me take a minute to explain. In an effort to streamline our OSS releases, we're going to try bringing their version numbers inline with what we use in our hosted product. Approximately once every two weeks, we crank out a new hosted release and version it based on the current year along with its sequence in the releases for that year. Instead of trying to translate between the two versions (e.g. 4.0 might internally mean 2021.003, while 4.0.1 could internally be 2021.004), they'll each have the same versioning.

You've also probably noticed this is the second release candidate for the new version. The plan is to try this out for a couple weeks and, barring any reports of catastrophic breakage from the community, formally releasing it as the next official version of Vanilla.

Same as RC1, there are some warnings and considerations I'll repeat here:

1. This is an RC (release candidate). It is not intended for use in production environments. It is pre-release software. Install it in some kind of sandbox and go nuts, but avoid overwriting your existing Vanilla installs. Once we're confident in Vanilla 2021.003 on open-source community sites, we'll drop a production-ready release. Future updates probably won't need an RC cycle, but given the length of time since the last release, it seems prudent.
  2. Vanilla 2021.003 requires at least PHP 7.2. It's also the last version that'll support PHP 7.2. Future versions of Vanilla will require PHP 7.4+.
  3. MySQL 5.7+ is required, starting with Vanilla 2021.003.
  4. Full-text indexes have been disabled by default. You can enable them by adding a Database.FullTextIndexing key to your config and setting it to true. Failure to do this before upgrading to Vanilla 2021.003 will result in your full-text database indexes being lost.

If you're still feeling bold, you can checkout the changelog and download Vanilla 2021.003 RC2 over on GitHub. You'll find a pre-built package under "Assets".

Comments

• this turns out when installing. php versiyon 7.4

• The same here...

• Default htaccess shouldn’t provide the good config like in 3.3?

• pitkmipitkmi scifi-meshes.com

You probably need to enable pretty URLs.

Try this:

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/261764

• enable pretty URLs could resolve?

But enable pretty URLS just got another error:

redirected you too many times

• But enable pretty URLS just got another error:

redirected you too many times

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/261745#Comment_261745

• location ~* "/\.git" { deny all; return 403; }
      location ~* "^/build/" { deny all; return 403; }
      location ~* "^/cache/" { deny all; return 403; }
      location ~* "^/cgi-bin/" { deny all; return 403; }
      location ~* "^/uploads/import/" { deny all; return 403; }
      location ~* "^/conf/" { deny all; return 403; }
      location ~* "^/tests/" { deny all; return 403; }
      location ~* "^/vendor/" { deny all; return 403; }

# Default path handling

location ~* ^/index\.php(/|$) {
      fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9001;
      fastcgi_index index.php;
      include fastcgi.conf;

include fastcgi_params;
      fastcgi_param SCRIPT_NAME /index.php;
      fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $realpath_root/index.php;
      fastcgi_param X_REWRITE 1;

}

location ~* \.php(/|$) {
      rewrite ^ /index.php$uri last;
      }

location / {
      try_files $uri $uri/ @vanilla;
      }

location @vanilla {
      rewrite ^ /index.php$uri last;
      }

This is nginx conf.

link url is dashboard/setup

If I change index.php to other.php which only contain phpinfo, there is no errors like 'redirected you too many times.'

debug that find in bootstrap.php

safeHeader('Location: '.$request->url('dashboard/setup', true));

Vanilla is not installed , so keep redirect to this link.

• First, I change the nginx conf. Thanks @Kaspar

And, get a theme error, /addons directory was missed.

So I copy /addons from 4.0 RC1, it worked.

• This is finally nginx conf

location ~* ^/index\.php(/|$) {
      fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9001;
      fastcgi_index index.php;
      include fastcgi.conf;

include fastcgi_params;
      fastcgi_param SCRIPT_NAME /index.php;
      fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $realpath_root/index.php;
      # fastcgi_param X_REWRITE 1; DO NOT NEED THIS LINE.
      # after installed, add $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = true; to config.php
    }
    location ~* \.php(/|$) {
        # rewrite ^ /index.php$uri last;
        rewrite ^/(.+)$ /index.php?p=$1 last;
    }

location / {
      try_files $uri $uri/ @vanilla;
    }

location @vanilla {
      #rewrite ^ /index.php$uri last;
      rewrite ^/(.+)$ /index.php?p=$1 last;
    }

• Asking for advice from the community....

I've been working on a site that's powered by Vanilla and it's getting close to ready to go live to the public. Is there an ETA for the production-ready release? Should I hold off launching it?

The reason I bring it up is because I really would love to have the reactions and best of features on my site, it would be ideal to have that on launch. But if it's going to be months away I might have to launch without it unless there's another way to do it

What do you guys think?

• ianw5555ianw5555
    edited February 2021

It has to be your decision really as no one will want to take responsibility for your site breaking. If it is a new site with no users yet I say go for it as the SEO, title tags especially but also canonicals are different (better) than the 3.3 version and google will see a different site if you upgrade from 3.3. Just my opinion.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I'd say that no software comes without bugs and the current release has fixed numerous bugs of version 3.3

Yes, there _might_ be problems with that RC but it would nevertheless be the better choice than the "ancient" 3.3 version

• w1n55tw1n55t New
    edited February 2021

Is there an upgrade guide somewhere? The link in the readme goes here and I'm not sure it illustrates how to upgrade from 3.3 to this new version.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the correct link here:

• w1n55tw1n55t New
    edited February 2021

Hi all, I updated and everything is mostly working - just one thing I have noticed so far. I am using a dark theme (Keystone) and since I upgraded to the latest version all of my input boxes, dropdowns have reverted to white instead of black with white text and i cant see the formatting icons for attaching pics etc. is there something that would fix this that needs to be addressed in the update files or what is the CSS change to fix this? Many thanks for your help.

• KasparKaspar Moderator

First attempt

/* Login popup background */
    div.Popup .Body {
    background-color: darkgray;
    }

/* comment / activity / message box text */
    .vanilla-dmg5t-richEditor-text-richEditor-text {
    color: black;
    }

/* emoji icon */
    .vanilla-1o3cun6-richEditor-menuItems .richEditor-menuItem:first-child .richEditor-embedButton {
    }

/* Paragraph dropdown text */
    .vanilla-1rwe2es-paragraphMenuCheckRadio-checkRadio {
    }

/* inbox message recipient */
    li.token-input-dropdown-item2.token-input-selected-dropdown-item {
    }

• Tried to test locally. Got the files from here : https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/releases/tag/2021.003

But it says

I tried everything. Set permissions as 777 , 755 and so on. Use chown and chmod to make sure that everything is alright. To be sure, I tried to use WordPress in the same setup and the installer worked without any problem. Would be nice to get past this error and actually Vanilla 4. Thanks.