Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

mention all

is there any option to mention all in a discussion or to mention all forum users here in vanilla ?

Comments

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Mentioning, at its core, is designed to direct the public conversation at a specific user. It doesn't make sense to mention everyone as that is what a standard comment does: anyone interested reads the comment.

Are you looking to notify all users of a specific post? Or all posts?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Yes want to notify all users. Again is it possible to include a reply box in notification mail so that they can reply right from their inbox

• @abhilashsnair said:
    Yes want to notify all users. Again is it possible to include a reply box in notification mail so that they can reply right from their inbox

You have asked this before. No decent email client is going to allow this for security reasons.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited June 2014

mentioning is also dependent on the user notification settings.

grep is your friend.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Are you looking to notify all users of a specific post? Or all posts?

Post by mail has no released open source solution. You will have to roll your own. Vanilla Inc. offers a plugin called VanillaPop on its hosted cloud product. More info here: http://vanillaforums.com/resources/faqs#Question-823

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Hi, i'm looking to do what was asked here i think.

I'd like to know if it's possible to bring attention to everyone to a specific comment a bit like the @everyone in discord. Is that possible ?

• KasparKaspar Moderator

https://success.vanillaforums.com/kb/articles/101-announcements

Or use pockets or Messages in dashborad to put a message/link on forum pages.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@kenji I understand the request but it is not trivial. What could be achieved would be the following (with every step that needs to be performed):

1. @everybody could be recognized
    2. But username "everybody" must be a forbidden user name so that no body registers as that user
    3. Using this global mentioning must be restricted to privileged user roles
    4. "everybody" must be every user who a) is not deleted b ) nor banned and c) has the right to view this post and d) wants to be notified
    5. One mail with all recipients from 4 in bcc can be sent out (without the multilingual feature, though)
    6. Notifications about mentions through popups might also be possible (not really sure about that though)

The biggest problem here is that you cannot really re-use any of the Vanilla mentioning implementation. That would start with simple things like if there is no user "everyone", the formatting looks awkward and ends with direct database access to the activity table instead of using the appropriate models/code to make notifications work.

From my point of view, a newsletter would be more appropriate for something like that. Not sure if there is a working external mailing service integration available in the addons, but I know vanillaskins.com has one for MailChimp