Current state of Vanilla OSS?
Hi there, I administer what I believe to be one of the largest forums running on Drupal 7. The future of Drupal is not looking good, less than a year of support left for Drupal 7 and the project is turning into a framework for developers instead of a flexible platform with plugins to enable nearly turnkey functionality like it used to be. So I'm looking for migration options. This would be for a dedicated forum website, not a secondary community help section, but rather for a site that has the primary function of being a large and active forum.
I have been dabbling in Vanilla since 2007, so I'm familiar with the basics, but I haven't used it in production for a long time. I'm interested in knowing how well (or not) Vanilla OSS actually works in practice for current administrators. Specifically, I wonder about:
- With respect to development and maintenance health, is Vanilla going anywhere, or is it dying out? I see warning signs here: https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/vanilla-core where the latest announced version is from May 2021, whereas the Github page shows much more recent releases. This sort of issue https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues/11103 from October 2021 without any response is also worrisome.
- I am an experienced LEMP stack administrator, but I am not a web developer. How much of a disadvantage would this be for me as an OSS user? How limited or restricted is the functionality for OSS users compared to Vanilla commercial users? The "go code it yourself" solution won't work for my needs.
- The plugin situation for Vanilla OSS seems to be quite stagnant. The vast majority of the plugins look like they're not even compatible with the current supported Vanilla versions. Is there something that I'm missing?
- Could I pay for Vanilla commercial service just to migrate my current Drupal forum and then maintain and configure it myself?
- This would need to include private message migration, is there any equivalent for Vanilla and any migration path from other CMS/forum system private messaging systems?
Thanks in advance for your replies.