HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Lost access to dashboard after upgrade from 2.6 to 2021.012

Hello,

I love Vanilla Forum and am grateful to its community for sharing with all!

I just upgraded from 2.6 to 2021.012 and only have partial success. I can login and see the front-end, but I cannot access the dashboard: Fatal Error in Webmozart\Assert\Assert.reportInvalidArgument(); The error occurred on or near: [my url]/vendor/webmozart/assert/src/Assert.php

2038:      * @psalm-pure this method is not supposed to perform side-effects
2039:      */
2040:     protected static function reportInvalidArgument($message)
2041:     {
2042:         throw new InvalidArgumentException($message);
2043:     }
2044: 
2045:     private function __construct()
2046:     {

Can't run [my url]/utility/update either. Fatal Error in Gdn_MySQLStructure.renameColumn(); The error occurred on or near: [my url]/library/database/class.mysqlstructure.php

149:         }
150: 
151:         // Make sure the new column name isn't already taken
152:         if ($oldColumn && $newColumn) {
153:             throw new Exception(sprintf(t('You cannot rename the `%1$s` column to `%2$s` because that column already exists.'), $oldName, $newName));
154:         }
155: 
156:         // Rename the column
157:         // The syntax for renaming a column is:

Does anybody have an idea or suggestion on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Comments

• sgendrysgendry New
    edited March 2022

Well, I was a little fast in posting.

I cleared /cache as I tried a few things, and now have the following challenges:

#1 Can't run [my url]/utility/update. Fatal Error in Gdn_MySQLStructure.renameColumn(); You cannot rename the `Plugins.Tagging.Add` column to `Vanilla.Tagging.Add` because that column already exists.

The error occurred on or near: [my url]/library/database/class.mysqlstructure.php

150: 
    153:             throw new Exception(sprintf(t('You cannot rename the `%1$s` column to `%2$s` because that column already exists.'), $oldName, $newName));
    155: 

#2 I only have partial access to the dashboard. Can't access [my url]/vanilla/settings/categories for example. Page Not Found. Debug Trace Info Could not find file 'custom_default.css' in folder ''.

#3 Same thing for [my url]/vanilla/settings/posting

#4 [my url]/dashboard/settings/layout returns almost a blank page (nothing in the content section)

Everything else seems to be working normally.

Does anybody have an idea or suggestion on how to fix this?

Thanks!

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Disable all plugins by editing the config file and retry. You should use 2021.009 instead of 012

• Thank you for your prompt reply! I did as you recommended + downgraded to 2021.009 and that did it.

Almost everything works now. The only page I do not have access to is [my url]/dashboard/settings/layout - The top menu and left column show, but the main content does not load.

I can certainly live without, and just in case would you know how to get it to show again?

You shine.

Sorry, I have no idea. You can take a look at the developer console for any strange errors. If you have some custom css it could be the reason for the problem, too. But as you might have notice, I do not hav a clue what the reason behind that misbehaviour might be.

• :-( Spoke too fast. I cannot edit nor add categories. Any suggestion on how to fix this? Thanks!

Fatal Error in PHP.gdn_ErrorHandler();

Unknown column 'Featured' in 'where clause'

The error occurred on or near: [my site]/library/database/class.database.php

513:                     if (!$message) {
    514:                         $message = $ex->getMessage();
    515:                     }
    516: 
    517:                     trigger_error($message, E_USER_ERROR);
    518:                 }
    519:             }
    520: 
    521:             if ($pDOStatement instanceof PDOStatement) {

Did you have run /utility/update already?

• Running /utility/update results in a systematic fatal Error in Gdn_MySQLStructure.renameColumn();

You cannot rename the `Plugins.Tagging.Add` column to `Vanilla.Tagging.Add` because that column already exists. The error occurred on or near: [my url]/library/database/class.mysqlstructure.php

150: 
    155: 

I deleted all cache. No plugins are enabled. Can't get past that fatal error and am not sure what to do next. Any idea? Thanks!

Okay, the first thing I would do is to make a database backup.

After that I would simply delete the column Plugins.Tagging.Add from the table GDN_Permission.

Tagging has been moved from a plugin to an inbuilt feature. So after you have managed to have a running forum again and you re-enable tagging, you should check the permissions for your user groups.

• That fixed it. Thank you much for your help!