Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

New: Mint 2.0

dan39dan39 New
edited February 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Shaun Inman's Analytics program just went into 2.0: http://haveamint.com The new Secret Crushes Pepper uses common blog and CMS cookies to automatically assign names to your visitors within Mint for greater usage tracking. Anyone know if this Pepper can be used with Vanilla?

Comments

• Looks like I will be buying more mint licenses
  • Ooh cool.. upgrading now :)

Dugg it as well:
    http://digg.com/software/Mint_Version_2_0_released

I love my Mint :D
  • It's damn good. Lovely upgrade to the software. I honestly thought it couldn't be nicer. I was wrong!
  • This is an alternative to Google Analytics and WebTrends right?
  • Mint is the best you can get. It's the best software for visitor tracking as Vanilla is for forum software :)
  • Got some proof of that? :)
  • I'm with Jazzman it's the best there is FACT
  • Style over substance isn't it? I mean, does it really do anything that different to it's competition other than look a little prettier that justifies the extra $30 price tag? Don't get me wrong, it looks lovely, and it'd be awesome if someone made a mint style for Vanilla (2.0 preferred) but I personally can't see much reason to change over other stats :/
  • Well it depends on how much you value a good GUI and user interface. If something simple works and doesn't confuse the user I would say it has a massive advantage over it's competitors. Mint just works I don't have to worry about to much technical stuff and the interface explains it's self as clearly as it possibly could. In my experience over software of this kind is normal a little to geeky and doesn't just work
  • To be fair, it does look like style over substance. However, using Mint is damn perfect. Every little details seems to have been thought of already. The price is reasonable too.

If you can't see much reason to change over other stats then there's no need to change :D

I was in the market for a stats package when Mint came along. I checked it out and I was impressed. One of my best purchases of recent years. Second only to my Alien Head :D

DSC00571 (by giginger)
  • edited January 2007
    hosting companies don't allow u to have ur own stats package running. u can use google analytics or any other that runs on a different server. correct me if i'm wrong my 1and1 host clearly states "no stats package allowed". so i use google analytics and feedburner bl;izeh Mint has excellent extensions called pepper. thats where the value lies. other stats package are NOT extendable. the mint forum theme. Its awesome
  • edited January 2007
    i have to pay 20 bucks just to upgrade? ugh. id rather have the alien head.
  • I'm with Jazzman it's the best there is FACT

That is completely useless to me - I mean for heaven's sake, I could just say "Bush is clever, FACT!", but that doesn't make it right. How about giving us who haven't already been wooed, some actual reasons why it's better than something free and good like Google Analytics? I'm actually quite interested in Mint...
  • I played a bit with the Mint demo, and I can honestly say it doesn't hold a candle to Google Analytics. (No world map of hits, no funnel metrics, no chart of traffic over different time frames, no comparisons of one time frame to another, etc.)

However, Google Analytics cannot hold a candle to how easy it is to find what Mint offers--and Mint is many times faster.

Schizo is right, I can't use mint because of 1and1's shared hosting prohibits it because of high database load. I would prefer if it logged to a flat file and allowed post-processing in a local database...
  • TomTesterTomTester New
    edited January 2007
    If you're into stats take a gander at http://www.enquisite.com It's free. Enquisite will not replace your regular stats packages, but it will give you some rare insight into the keywords used to find your site, across many different advertising networks (does a better job than google analytics). Best of all, you can 'pivot' and 'filter' to your heart's content. It was instrumental in helping my clients detect click fraud and money-pits. T. (full disclosure: I'm an adviser to this company). PS The present interface needs some work (is being re-done).
  • gigingergiginger New
    edited January 2007
    [-Stash-]: The advantage over Google Analytics for me is that the data is live. I can see who is on my site at that very moment. The delay on GA is anything up to 24 hours. I don't want to have that sort of wait. The extendability is also something I like. New ways of seeing the data etc. However, that's just my personal reasons. If you're happy just keeping a general eye on your stats then you would be better off with something free like GA. If you're a stats whore like me then I think Mint is your best choice. That said, I haven't had a massive look around. Wallphone: I think, in theory, you could host your Mint database somewhere else. Mint is good but it's not good enough to warrant sorting that sort of thing out.
  • edited January 2007
    In my site i use Google Analytics and Slimstat EX (based on Shortstat, supossedly the father of Mint): Slimstat for detailed stats (referers, search engine terms, things like that which are way more detailed than Google's) and Google Analytics for stats about the evolution on my site (like new visitors versus regular visitors, visits in a time frame, etc). Also Slimstat has realtime statistics, unlike Google.

If Mint is better than Slimstat (i'm sure it is) then it must be an excellent product. A combination of the two must be very powerful.
  • Thanks for the useful answers guys :) To be honest, it would seem that a combination of the two might work quite well (Mint and GA) - has anyone had any success with this?
  • dan39dan39 New
    edited January 2007
    I don't use Mint, at least not yet. But, my understanding is that it uses a similar approach to Vanilla. That is to say that it comes with a standard set of features, but it's the third-party Add-Ons (or "Peppers" in this case) that anyone can contribute to which really allow you to enhance and customize Mint and do only the things you want it to do. For instance, I believe there is a Pepper called "GeoMint" which lets you have a Google Map of your users. So, in some respects, like Vanilla, the possibilities with Mint are endless.
  • Do all the extensions cost?
This discussion has been closed.