Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Mac OS X Leopard

Comments

• in my experience, it is for everyone. that's how i got my tiger couple of years ago in europe
  • about model-specific install disks: From my experience and cross checking on Apple discussion forums:
    - Grey discs that come with the computer are model specifics. You may be lucky using it for another model or not.
    - Black discs are OS X retail and install on any computer, with the notable exception of Tiger retail disc not running on Intel hardware.
    - There is a special kind of black upgrade discs: you get those for 10$ when new release comes out and you have a qualifying Mac. These can only install on a Mac with OS X of the previous release. Not on a blank disc.
  • We just signed up at work for all Apple OS updates for the next 3 years, including our new OS X Server :)
  • I dont suppose the apple protection plan I paid for includes software upgrades? I guess i should check..
  • I'm pretty sure there isn't any apple protection plan that includes software upgrades. The word "protection" seems to imply a safeguard against issues or problems. I don't think they protect you from upgrades. ;)
  • To be fair for something typically costing £200 to protect a device which 'never breaks' I'd expect that they could push themselves a bit and include OS updates with it too. Chances are I'm not going to pay for it anyway so it's not gonna gain them anything by being mean. It does seem you're right though - I checked the pack and I cant see anything regarding updates.
  • I don't know why people fall for the AppleCare thing. You don't need it! It's not worth it!

If your Mac works without issues in the first 12 months, it's gonna make it for the next 3 years without the extra £200 (That's $688 Aussie Dollars, AppleCare costs nowhere near that much here.)

The prices on Apple hardware are so controlled, it seems the stores make most of their money selling AppleCare and added software like MS Office.

Posted: Saturday, 20 October 2007 at 8:20AM

• I know i shouldnt need it, but I only paid 60 quid for it not the normal 200 (there's no WAY i would have paid £200 for it) - even 60 was a 'should i shouldnt i' moment - but considering I didnt know whether it was actually possible to swap out hardware in a mac as I could easily do in a PC, I figured I may aswell take the gamble. I'm sure if my mac breaks I'll be glad I did, otherwise I'll be pissed i threw £60 away, but that's life. I spend triple that every month insuring myself to drive so I guess it's all relative.
  • thats well worth it for a laptop machine i reckon. more potential for things to start rattling inside that shouldn't.
  • Yeah quite. I'm still annoyed i dont get software updates though. :(
  • A protection plan from Dell won't give you software updates either.
    NO one will.
  • 3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited October 2007
    One thing you gotta love about OS X = no serials required :) Once you have the hardware, you're in da club.
  • Exactly. They shouldnt encourage me to break the law though should they. It's not as if I aint given them enough money! MSB - Dell don't make the OS though, they have to pay Microsoft for it. Plus I wouldn't buy a protection plan from dell because if something minor went wrong I could fix it myself (ram, hard drive, possibly other stuff like wireless depending how it's set up) and if something major went wrong I'd just buy a new laptop they're so damn cheap.
  • well, not exactly. iwork required serial numbers for the first time. both pages and keynote. i do not remember how it is with numbers now. but those, i think, you cannot get separately.
  • dan39dan39 New
    edited October 2007
    I happen to think AppleCare is great for people who don't know much about computers. They can call Apple up 24/7 and ask them any questions they want about their computer and how to use it. And if it ever breaks, all they have to do is call Apple and they take care of all the costs necessary to fix it. For people who know how to fix their own computers, you can do without AppleCare. Most of the Mac desktops have a DIY (Do-It-Yourself) program where they send you the part and you fix it yourself. It's free if you're under warranty. AppleCare really just extends that warranty time. I'm not sure how they are encouraging you to "break the law." Mac OS X Leopard isn't that expensive for what it does. Considering that their iLife/iWork software is basically half the cost of Leopard, and since Leopard is a pretty huge upgrade (300+ new features), it makes Leopard look like a bargain at $129. And with all the discounts everywhere, it's more like $109 (at Amazon). That's a pretty good deal in my book. Apple realizes the honor system works for them. I think they realize that some people will take a friend's copy here and there. But, they also know that when their customers are treated with respect (and not like criminals) the customers are happier, they will have an easier time installing the software, and they are more willing to pay for something that's both easy to use and fairly priced.
  • Spot on dan39, I can easily get Leopard free from work but somehow it just doesn't feel right so I will buy it myself unless I end up getting a MacBook Pro in November. (OK I did it once with Panther, I stole it but I felt really guilty, until I remembered how many people bought a Mac after I recommended it then the guilt went away.)
  • The Wall Street Journal weighs in on Leopard vs. Vista: "Upgrade of Apple's OS Isn't Revolutionary, But It Beats Microsoft's" http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119326655774870521.html Interesting stuff.
  • Not "Revolutionary" no, but "Evolutionary" yes, unlike Vista which is "Devolutionary"!

If his only criticism is a hard-to-read menubar if the desktop picture is dark, we're laughing!

I can't wait for my new MacBook Pro!
  • Is it out now?
  • Tomorrow I believe...? One of the guys at work is going to buy the 5cal pack and give me a licence. Wee!
This discussion has been closed.