Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Installing online Vanilla onto XAMPP

edited February 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hi guys, so my friend asked me to take over his forum. It is hosted on media temple right now, i want to move his forum into xampp, so i can make changes locally for testing and such. i installed xampp on my computer and created a vanilla database. what are the next steps?

Comments

• You have to import the existing online things (files and data) in your empty local web place. I don't know MediaTemple, but you must have a ftp account and a kind of phpMyAdmin. Download the files via ftp, and import the data with phpMyAdmin (if you don't know how to, try to search-engine a bit).
    If I can give you one piece of advice, follow your local changes with a versionning system.
    Good luck, and keep us informed!
  • ok so, dump file created, files transfered via ftp. However, when i try to import the the data via phpmyadmin, it says file too large. I tried to use bigdump but i wasnt sure how to use it. I got a server error when i tried. any easier methods? or keep fiddling with bigdump? also, what is a versionning system?
  • You can easily split your .sql file. Just search clean break points.
  • Wikipedia article on version control.
    I personaly use Subversion locally and on servers.
  • sigh...i couldn't figure out how to split my .sql file, another hint?
  • You just have to create several files containing correct sql instructions, then import them in the right order.
    I think all you have to check are the parenthesis or brackets. Don't break your file between one opening and one closing.
  • edited January 2008
    Try c:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysql.exe -u root -p dbname
    then source path/to/dump.sql
  • edited January 2008
    Indeed, brutal, but neat.
    :)
  • So i broke up the SQL file and imported it. But got an error at the last file at the very end. I didn't get to see what the error was before i closed it. So i dropped everything in the database and then imported via Dinoboff's method. Again, i get an error. This time i have it available. ERROR 1064 <42000>: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '<br /> <b>Fatal error</b>: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in <b>' at line 1
  • Your SQL didn't export properly as PHP timed out before it could finish generating the query.
  • edited February 2008
    you are right. how do i remove the timeout limit on phpmyadmin also, the entire database is a little over 1gb and i do not have shell access
  • Waw, a big one.
    Maybe an export table by table, the biggest one would be IMHO the Comments one, try this one first.
    Anyway, if it's just for test purpose, maybe you don't need every bit of information. Maybe you just need some hundreds of comments.
    But I just realise that Vanilla makes a count for different things: number of posts in a discussion, by users, so it could end inconsistant...
  • the biggest one is LUM_Short Stat which is 900 megs. im not sure what that does
  • edited February 2008
    i just tried to run Vanilla locally with everything except ShortStat and i get "Server error!" even if the db is not complete, i should be able to see something. All i get is "Server error! The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there was an error in a CGI script. Error 500" I was able to access Vanilla setup page when i had the new install files. What i did was remove all those files and replace them with the files that are online. Now i am unable to access anything in the Vanilla folder
  • LUM_Shortstat is a table generated by the Shortstat extension. This extension integrates Shortstat with Vanilla. Shortstat tracks activity on your site. You probably don't need that table.
  • Try to see what you have at the end of
    C:\xampp\apache\logs\error.log
    I think there's no need to run the installer if you have all the files and the data of a running Vanilla.
    About the DB, maybe you just need to create the table, not the data contained in it. I don't know ShortStat but I guess it will create the missing table for you automaticly.
  • It says C:/xampp/Vanilla/.htaccess: Invalid command 'RewriteEngine', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration
  • the script its refering to is "RewriteEngine On Options +FollowSymLinks -Multiviews #Discussions RewriteRule ^discussions$ index.php [QSA,L] RewriteRule ^discussions/$ index.php [QSA,L]"
  • i also get "Warning: include(/home/virtual/site448/fst/var/www/html/appg/database.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\Vanilla\appg\init_vanilla.php on line 18 Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/virtual/site448/fst/var/www/html/appg/database.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;\xampp\php\pear\') in C:\xampp\Vanilla\appg\init_vanilla.php on line 18" etc. , etc.. It cannot find many files that init_vanilla.php requires.
  • edited February 2008
    updating... after some searching and failing i fixed the first problem by <IfModule mod_rewrite.c> ..rules </IfModule> in .htaccess to fix the second problem, i redirected the application path, database path, etc from ...var/www/html/ to C:/.... that seemed to fix both problems. did i do this correctly? now i am getting this error "Affected Elements MySQL.OpenConnection(); The error occurred on or near: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'lafixed'@'localhost' (using password: YES) "
This discussion has been closed.