Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Integrating Vanilla with Wordpress?

2»

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Very cool @Mark, looking forward to seeing it.
  • Awesome. I cannot wait to see it
  • FlamFlam New
    edited September 2009
    I'm VERY glad to hear this is coming out in the next day or two! I've been following Vanilla for quite some time now and was waiting for Vanilla2 before I considered it for my sites. I've been playing with the beta since yesterday and I was getting lazy when it came to integrating it with Wordpress. I don't know what compelled me to check the forums, but now I won't have to work on it anymore!

I <3 u Mark

[edit]
    Will there be any way to intertwine forum comments and article comments?
    For example, I plan to have wordpress automatically generate a forum topic upon article creation containing the article itself. Then I plan to make wordpress comments on that article post onto the topic on the forum and vice versa. So basically what I'm trying to ask is how integrated will this update be?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited September 2009
    @Flam - I'm definitely looking for combined article/discussion comments too, so if that doesn't come to pass in the SSO plugin I'll have a look at how to add it. The authentication is the bit that really stumps me, not integrating comments.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    The plugin will be purely about SSO integration.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Sounds good; I like this division of labor. You do the hard part, then I'll add the easy extra stuff. :D
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I just uploaded the Vanilla 2 Single Sign-on plugin to the addons site. It has a WordPress plugin bundled with it. I've been using this in development for a week or so. I think it still needs some work on account synchronization, but it's been pretty awesome in all my tests. I have some other people testing it out in live environments right now, too. Give it a shot and let me know how it goes!

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/472/Single-Sign-on
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Oh, I should mention that it requires the latest code from master (pushed about five minutes ago).
  • Great news! Thanks a ton Mark!
  • retoidretoid New
    edited April 2010
    nm
  • retoidretoid New
    edited April 2010
    Any chance having the Single Sign-on backwards compatible to WP?
    Since I have an existing vanilla 2 forum full of users and just recently installed WP, I am having to add users into WP, then once user logs into WP it links the two. Would it be possible to grab user info from an user who has logged into vanilla and input that user into WP as a specific user?

After logging out of WP and Vanilla. If I browse to vanilla and try to log in, it links to a WP login. When an existing vanilla user goes to log into vanilla and is redirected to the WP login without having had been added into WP as an user they get: "ERROR: Invalid username" Basically eliminating the chance for existing users to log in if they have not had a WP user account created.

I also tried logging into vanilla via domain.com/vanilla2/index.php/entry/signin with an existing account that has NOT been added as an user in WP and it replies with: "Sorry, no account could be found related to the email and password you entered."
  • Sorry for bringing this old post up but i Googled and found only this subject that is talking about a problem i have. I have exactly the same problem as the last person here and I know that Vanilla can use the wordpress users system but is it possible to do it the other way around ? That Vanilla users can login to wordpress!

Thanks!