Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Not really stable is it ...

edited December 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
For the second time today the forum (hosted on vanillaforums.org) has crashed with this unattractive message...

Fatal Error in Gdn_Database.Connection();
An error occurred while attempting to connect to the database
SQLSTATE[00000] [1040] Too many connections
The error occurred on or near: /srv/www/vanilla_source/library/database/class.database.php

54: if($this->_Connection === FALSE) {

55: try {

56: $this->_Connection = new PDO(strtolower($this->Engine) . ':' . $this->Dsn, $this->User, $this->Password, $this->ConnectionOptions);

57: } catch (Exception $ex) {

58: trigger_error(ErrorMessage('An error occurred while attempting to connect to the database', $this->ClassName, 'Connection', $ex->getMessage()), E_USER_ERROR);

59: }

60: }

61:

62: return $this->_Connection;

Backtrace:

[/srv/www/vanilla_source/library/core/functions.error.php:124] PHP::include();

[/srv/www/vanilla_source/library/core/functions.error.php:124] PHP::ErrorHandler();

[/srv/www/vanilla_source/library/database/class.database.php:58] PHP::trigger_error();

[/srv/www/vanilla_source/library/database/class.database.php:200] Gdn_Database->Connection();

[/srv/www/vanilla_source/library/database/class.sqldriver.php:1489] Gdn_Database->Query();

[/srv/www/vanilla_source/library/database/class.sqldriver.php:609] Gdn_SQLDriver->Query();

[/srv/www/vanilla_source/applications/garden/models/class.usermodel.php:179] Gdn_SQLDriver->Get();

[/srv/www/vanilla_source/library/core/class.session.php:231] Gdn_UserModel->GetSession();

[/srv/www/vhosts/tvwatercooler.vanillaforums.com/index.php:30] Gdn_Session->Start();

Variables in local scope:

[ex] array (
'errorInfo' => NULL,
)

Need Help?

If you are a user of this website, you can report this message to a website administrator.

If you are an administrator of this website, you can get help at the Lussumo Community Forums.
Additional information for support personnel:

* Application: Garden
* Application Version: 1.0
* PHP Version: 5.2.4-2ubuntu5.5
* Operating System: Linux
* Referer: http://tvwatercooler.co.uk/
* User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.1.6) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6
* Request Uri: /
* Controller: Gdn_Database
* Method: Connection

Fatal error: Call to a member function prepare() on a non-object in /srv/www/vanilla_source/library/database/class.database.php on line 200

Is this a stable platform? I don't see how I can open up this forum to users ...

Is the downloadable version any better?
Tagged:

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    "Too many connections" means this is probably a scaling/load issue on that server. Email support [at] vanillaforums [dot] com for help and I'm sure @Mark will give you a hand.
  • Well, its still in beta. You should expect errors to occur. Any errors you do encounter should be reported to the development team. If you want to open a forums, then use 1.10. Thats the latest stable release.
  • Yeah, this website is running the beta version, so you're right it's not stable.
    Like @Defense05 said, 1.1.10 is very stable and is used on many popular websites.
  • How do I get to 1.1.10 then? Is that a Vanilla hosted solution or do I need to host it? I was specifically looking for something hosted as I'm not knowledgable enough to host something like this and really haven't a clue what I'm doing!
  • (It is related to the db server settings and Vanilla 1 doesn't handler better this kind of error.)
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited December 2009
    @ajpegg Have you emailed support? Start there.

V1 is not the solution to your issue. The error you received had nothing to do with the stability of the software. It was a (temporary) server issue. Support should be made aware so they can address any scaling issue that might be underlying it.
  • It's too late though. I was trying to show off Vanilla to some colleagues as we have to migrate away from Proboards. The instability put them off and they've gone to freeforums.org. Sad really.